Find magnitude of acceleration on a Ca ion, given electric field.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
monnapomona
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The electric field strength across a typical cell membrane is about 107 N/C. Given this information, find the magnitude of the acceleration of a single charged Ca+1 ion as it penetrated through the cell wall. Ignore any resistive forces.
One atomic mass unit is 1.66 x 10-27 kg.

Homework Equations


F = ma
F=q0E

The Attempt at a Solution



I was thinking of multiplying the charge with how many protons a Ca ion has so:

F=q0E
= (20[itex]\bullet[/itex]1.6*10-19C)(107 N/C)
= 3.2*10-11 N

Then I manipulated for acceleration in F=ma and got 1.93*1016 m/s?

Is this the correct method for finding the magnitude of acceleration?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ca1+ means that the charge on the ion is only unbalanced by ONE proton charge. I.e. the atom has lost one electron, leaving it with a net positive charge due to ONE extra proton whose charge is unbalanced.
 
cepheid said:
Ca1+ means that the charge on the ion is only unbalanced by ONE proton charge. I.e. the atom has lost one electron, leaving it with a net positive charge due to ONE extra proton whose charge is unbalanced.

So would it be correct if I just use q=+1.6*10-19 C in the formula to find force?
 
Last edited:
monnapomona said:
So would it be correct if I just use q=+1.6*10-19 C in the formula to find force?

Yes.
 
cepheid said:
Yes.

Okay so I used q=+1.6*10-19 C in the formula and got F = 1.6*10-12 N. To find the magnitude of acceleration, I manipulated for a in F = ma and got 9.64 * 1014 m/s as the answer but I inputted it in my online homework assignment and apparently it's wrong.

Should I use a different formula to find acceleration?

Edit: I used 1.66*10-27 kg as the mass.
 
monnapomona said:
I used 1.66*10-27 kg as the mass.
That's one atomic mass unit. How many of those per calcium atom?
 
haruspex said:
That's one atomic mass unit. How many of those per calcium atom?

To get atomic mass, do I need to add protons and neutrons in Calcium together? So 40?
 
monnapomona said:
To get atomic mass, do I need to add protons and neutrons in Calcium together? So 40?

Sounds about right to me.
 
cepheid said:
Sounds about right to me.

Sweet, I got the answer right! (2.41*1013 m/s) Thanks for all your help everyone! :D