1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find magnitude of acceleration on a Ca ion, given electric field.

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field strength across a typical cell membrane is about 107 N/C. Given this information, find the magnitude of the acceleration of a single charged Ca+1 ion as it penetrated throught the cell wall. Ignore any resistive forces.
    One atomic mass unit is 1.66 x 10-27 kg.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    F=q0E

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of multiplying the charge with how many protons a Ca ion has so:

F=q0E
    = (20[itex]\bullet[/itex]1.6*10-19C)(107 N/C)
    = 3.2*10-11 N

Then I manipulated for acceleration in F=ma and got 1.93*1016 m/s?

Is this the correct method for finding the magnitude of acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ca1+ means that the charge on the ion is only unbalanced by ONE proton charge. I.e. the atom has lost one electron, leaving it with a net positive charge due to ONE extra proton whose charge is unbalanced.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    So would it be correct if I just use q=+1.6*10-19 C in the formula to find force?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    Okay so I used q=+1.6*10-19 C in the formula and got F = 1.6*10-12 N. To find the magnitude of acceleration, I manipulated for a in F = ma and got 9.64 * 1014 m/s as the answer but I inputted it in my online homework assignment and apparently it's wrong.

Should I use a different formula to find acceleration?

Edit: I used 1.66*10-27 kg as the mass.

7. Feb 3, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's one atomic mass unit. How many of those per calcium atom?

8. Feb 3, 2013 #7
    To get atomic mass, do I need to add protons and neutrons in Calcium together? So 40?

9. Feb 3, 2013 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds about right to me.

10. Feb 3, 2013 #9
    Sweet, I got the answer right! (2.41*1013 m/s) Thanks for all your help everyone! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook