Find Mass of Object 2 in Two-Mass Pulley System

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 4K views
Fresh Coffee
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two masses are attached by a light string and looped over two frictionless pulleys. Object 1 (200g) accelerates upwards at a rate of 4.90 m/s squared. Determine mass of object 2.



Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tries doing this but don't think its right.

Fnet= F1 + F2
ma= m1 + m2
-m2g = m1g – ma
m2g=ma-m1g
m2g= m(a-g)
m2g/g=m(a-g)/g
m2=m(a)
m2=(.2kg)(4.90m/s 2)
m2=.98 kg or 980 grams
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fresh Coffee said:

Homework Statement


Two masses are attached by a light string and looped over two frictionless pulleys. Object 1 (200g) accelerates upwards at a rate of 4.90 m/s squared. Determine mass of object 2.



Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tries doing this but don't think its right.

Fnet= F1 + F2
ma= m1 + m2
-m2g = m1g – ma
m2g=ma-m1g
m2g= m(a-g)
m2g/g=m(a-g)/g
m2=m(a)
m2=(.2kg)(4.90m/s 2)
m2=.98 kg or 980 grams

Yes, that solution is not correct. The problem has only two masses but your equation "-m2g = m1g – ma" has three different masses in it. you must fix that. Besides, there is also a sign mistake on your net force calculation. Make sure you draw a diagram before attempting to solve any problem like that. Include all the relevant forces in your diagram.

Also (a-g)/g is not equal to a. That's just basic algebra
 
You did not do this correctly.

Start by setting up two different equations by ∑F=ma for each mass.
 
Lol ok thanks. I shall endeavour to solve this enigmatic question.
 
Ok so would finding out the net force of object 1 help?
 
Ok so I have set up two equations for each mass.

Fnet1=ma

Fnet2=ma

Fnet1=(.2kg)(4.90m/s squared)

Fnet1=.98 N

However I am stumped what to do with Fnet2. I go Fnet2=m(-4.90 m/s squared) then ma=m(-4.90m/s squared) but don't know what to do next.
 
Did you do a free body diagram of each mass? Include all the forces acting on each mass. These will add up to Fnet for each case.
 
Yes but I can't seem to get much from that...I have free body diagram of object 1 and 2 which is a block with Fg acting down and Ft acting up.
 
I can't get it. I'v tried all sorts of ways but its that darn net force that I can't get! If I could just get that I'd have it.
 
Fresh Coffee said:
Yes but I can't seem to get much from that...I have free body diagram of object 1 and 2 which is a block with Fg acting down and Ft acting up.
Are the gravity forces acting on object 1 and 2 the same? If not, then don't call them both Fg. What about Ft? Is that the same for both objects?
 
Fresh Coffee said:
Yes but I can't seem to get much from that...I have free body diagram of object 1 and 2 which is a block with Fg acting down and Ft acting up.
Great, now sum them up to get Fnet.
 
Yeah, that's good to know. But sum up all the forces you outlined above in an equation and set it equal to Fnet.
 
that's not correct. You have to sum up all the forces and set it to ma.
 
ScreenShot2014-03-27at32025PM_zpsb9fe484f.jpg
 
There is a minus sign missing in lines 1 through 3. Everything else seems correct. You should wait until the very last step before plugging in any values such as the m1 and g. Algebra is easier than arithmetic.