Find mass of steam using the 'Ideal Gas Equation'.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of steam above water at a temperature of 122 Celcius. The volume of steam, pressure of steam, molar mass of water, and molar gas constant are provided for use in the equation pV=nRT. The poster is having trouble obtaining the correct answer and requests assistance in finding the correct calculations.
Lenstonbain
Show that there is a mass of (4.8 x 10^-3)kg of steam above the water when the temperature is 122 Celcius?

Volume of Steam = 4.2 x 10^-3 (metres cubed)

Pressure of steam= 2.1 x 10^-5 (Pa)

molar mass of water = 18g per mole

molar gas constant = 8.3 Joules/mol/K

Homework Equations

pV= nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass of steam given in the question doesn not come out of this equation whenever I input the numbers and I do not know why. I have made sure I used the correct units, i.e. 122 Celcius is 395 Kelvin, and 18g is 0.018 kg, but the answer still does not work out.

Could somebody please show me the working that gives the correct steam mass as given in the question.

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Post your working on how you did the problem. Perhaps you just made an error in calculation, without posting what you did, we won't know whether or not you were on the right track.

1. How do you calculate the mass of steam using the Ideal Gas Equation?

To calculate the mass of steam, you will need to know the pressure, volume, and temperature of the steam. Then, you can use the Ideal Gas Equation (PV = nRT) to find the number of moles of steam present. Finally, you can use the molar mass of water (18 g/mol) to convert from moles to mass.

2. What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is a mathematical formula that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Equation?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Equation depend on the values given for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. Typically, pressure is measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol).

4. Can the Ideal Gas Equation be used for all gases?

No, the Ideal Gas Equation is based on the assumption that the gas behaves ideally, meaning it follows the gas laws perfectly. This is not always the case for all gases, especially at high pressures or low temperatures. Real gases may deviate from ideal behavior and require different equations to accurately predict their properties.

5. How accurate is the Ideal Gas Equation in calculating the mass of steam?

The Ideal Gas Equation is a good approximation for calculating the mass of steam, but it is not completely accurate. As mentioned before, real gases can deviate from ideal behavior, and this can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Equation assumes that the gas is at a constant temperature and pressure, which may not always be the case for steam in real-world situations.