Calc Vol of 1 Mol Steam @ 100°C, 1 atm: Ideal Gas Eqn

In summary, to calculate the volume of 1 mol of steam at 100°C and 1 atm pressure, we can use the ideal gas law equation PV=nRT and plug in the given values. This is a valid and straightforward approach.
max1995

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of 1 mol of steam at 100°C and a pressure of 1 atm assuming that it is an ideal gas.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if I am honest I was just going to re arrange the above equation for V and plug the numbers in but that seems far too easy so I assume I am wrong.

Can someone clarify that I am wrong and just give a gentle push in the right direction please?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
max1995 said:
assuming that it is an ideal gas
Assume so.

Bystander said:
Assume so.

I did that when I said I would use PV=nRT though?

max1995 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of 1 mol of steam at 100°C and a pressure of 1 atm assuming that it is an ideal gas.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if I am honest I was just going to re arrange the above equation for V and plug the numbers in but that seems far too easy so I assume I am wrong.

Can someone clarify that I am wrong and just give a gentle push in the right direction please?

Thank you!
Your approach is correct. Start plugging.

1. What is the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How do you calculate the volume of 1 mole of steam at 100°C and 1 atm?

To calculate the volume of 1 mole of steam at 100°C and 1 atm using the ideal gas equation, you would first need to convert the given temperature to Kelvin by adding 273.15. Then, plug in the values for pressure (1 atm), number of moles (1 mole), gas constant (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K), and temperature (373.15 K) into the equation PV = nRT. Rearrange the equation to solve for V, which will give you the volume in liters.

3. What is the significance of using the ideal gas equation for steam at 100°C and 1 atm?

The ideal gas equation is commonly used to approximate the behavior of real gases under certain conditions, such as low pressures and high temperatures. In this case, using the ideal gas equation to calculate the volume of 1 mole of steam at 100°C and 1 atm is appropriate because steam behaves similarly to an ideal gas at these conditions.

4. Can the ideal gas equation be used for any gas?

The ideal gas equation can be used for any gas as long as the conditions are within the range of validity for the equation. This means that the gas must be at low pressure and high temperature, and the molecules of the gas must have negligible volume compared to the overall volume of the gas.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas equation for calculating the volume of steam at 100°C and 1 atm?

While the ideal gas equation is a useful tool for approximating the behavior of gases, it does have limitations. For example, it does not take into account the interactions between gas molecules, which can become significant at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the ideal gas equation assumes that the gas molecules are point particles with no volume, which may not be true for all gases. Therefore, the calculated volume using the ideal gas equation may not be entirely accurate but can still provide a reasonable approximation.