Find maximum wavelength using minimum wavelength and frequency difference

In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum wavelength for a radar receiver that can detect signals at different wavelengths. The frequency difference between the minimum and maximum wavelength is 10 GHz and the minimum detected wavelength is 4910µm. Using the equation λƒ=c, the maximum wavelength can be calculated by converting the minimum frequency to wavelength and adding it to the minimum wavelength. It is important to note that the minimum wavelength corresponds to the maximum frequency.
Shaulah

Homework Statement

A radar receiver can be tuned to detect signals are different wavelengths. If the frequency difference between the minimum and maximum wavelength is 10 GHz and the minimum detected wavelength is 4910µm. What would be the maximum wavelength?

Homework Equations

λƒ=c

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the above equation to convert 10GHz to wavelength and then add to the minimum wavelength but this appears to be incorrect and I'm struggling to figure out the proper way to go about this. I know I must be missing something very basic

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaulah said:

Homework Statement

A radar receiver can be tuned to detect signals are different wavelengths. If the frequency difference between the minimum and maximum wavelength is 10 GHz and the minimum detected wavelength is 4910µm. What would be the maximum wavelength?

Homework Equations

λƒ=c

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the above equation to convert 10GHz to wavelength and then add to the minimum wavelength but this appears to be incorrect and I'm struggling to figure out the proper way to go about this. I know I must be missing something very basic
Does the minimum wavelength correspond to the minimum or to the maximum frequency ?

Ah! minimum wavelength corresponds to maximum frequency! Thank you! That little error was throwing quite the wrench into the problem

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum wavelength using minimum wavelength and frequency difference?

The formula for finding the maximum wavelength using minimum wavelength and frequency difference is: maximum wavelength = minimum wavelength/(1 - frequency difference).

2. How is the maximum wavelength related to the minimum wavelength and frequency difference?

The maximum wavelength is inversely proportional to the frequency difference and directly proportional to the minimum wavelength. This means that as the frequency difference increases, the maximum wavelength decreases, and as the minimum wavelength increases, the maximum wavelength also increases.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum wavelength in a scientific experiment?

Finding the maximum wavelength is important because it allows scientists to determine the limits of a certain spectrum or range of wavelengths. This information can be useful in various fields such as astronomy, spectroscopy, and telecommunications.

4. Can the maximum wavelength be less than the minimum wavelength?

No, the maximum wavelength cannot be less than the minimum wavelength. This is because the maximum wavelength is calculated by dividing the minimum wavelength by a value that is always greater than one (1 - frequency difference). Therefore, the maximum wavelength will always be longer than the minimum wavelength.

5. How does the frequency difference affect the maximum wavelength?

The frequency difference has an inverse relationship with the maximum wavelength. This means that as the frequency difference increases, the maximum wavelength decreases and vice versa. This is because a larger frequency difference indicates a larger difference in wavelengths, which results in a smaller maximum wavelength.