Find momentum of particle in B field

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving a physics problem involving the Lorentz force law and the cyclotron equation. The speaker mentions using the equation for a circle to find the radius and then using that information to find the momentum. They also suggest the possibility of integrating over the force to find the total change in momentum, but run into trouble due to the unknown velocity. The conversation concludes with the speaker offering some tips for finding the radius.
zezima1

Homework Statement

The problem statement is on the attached file.

Homework Equations

Lorentz force law maybe.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher actually did this, by calculating the radius of the circle that the particle would orbit to find the momentum using the cyclotron equation.
But I would like to ask if there are other methods than just this one. My curiosity comes the fact that since I could remember how my teacher did it, I became curious on whether other approaches to the problem could be taken.
Could you for instance integrate over the force to get the total change in momentum? I tried this but came in trouble, because v is unknown.
So yes, is it possible to do this problem in other ways than using the cyclotron equation?

Attachments

• particleinBfield.png
    particleinBfield.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zezima1. So in the question the B field and velocity are perpendicular, so the force on the charge is always perpendicular to it's velocity, this means the speed will never change, it only changes direction. You can then use that the magnetic force is equivalent to the centripetal force to get an equation for mv (i.e. the momentum) in terms of the radius of the circle the charge goes around. You can get the radius by using the equation for a circle centred at (0,0):
x2+y2=r2
This equation must go through the points (0,-r) and (a,d-r) (I'm just the x-axis as going from left to right and the y-axis upwards). I hope this helps.

1. What is the equation for finding the momentum of a particle in a B field?

The equation is p = qvBsinθ, where p is the momentum, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the momentum of a particle?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the momentum of a particle by changing the direction in which the force acts on the particle. If the particle's velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be perpendicular to both and result in circular motion. If the velocity is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no change in the particle's momentum.

3. Can the momentum of a particle in a B field ever be zero?

Yes, the momentum of a particle in a B field can be zero if the particle is at rest or if its velocity is parallel to the magnetic field. In these cases, there is no force acting on the particle and therefore no change in momentum.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the momentum of a particle?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the force exerted on the particle, which in turn affects the magnitude of the particle's momentum. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force and therefore a greater change in momentum.

5. Can the momentum of a particle in a B field change over time?

Yes, the momentum of a particle in a B field can change over time if the particle's velocity changes or if the strength or direction of the magnetic field changes. This change in momentum is due to the force exerted on the particle by the magnetic field.