Net electric field at the center of an equilateral triangle with charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kevykevy
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at the centre (or centroid) of the triangle.

The triangle is equilateral and the point of reference is in the middle of the triangle.

What I want to know is what equation do I use to figure this out?

At first I thought it was: Fnet = kq1q2/r^2

Is that right?, if not can you tell what to use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's almost right...the question asks for the net electric field, which means you have to use a vector, not just the magnitude as you've shown.

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{kq}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]
 
Also, how do I find the direction of the field?

Do I have to use some sort of x and y component breakdown?
 
kevykevy said:
Do I have to use some sort of x and y component breakdown?

That's right.