Find nth Derivative of (ax-b)^-1

  • Thread starter Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0
The question is to find the nth derivative of:
[tex] f(x) = (ax - b)^-1[/tex]
the answer in the book is:
[tex] f^[n](x) = n!(-a)^n(ax-b)^{-1-n}[/tex]

now I know that the nth derivative of:
[tex] f(x) = x^-1[/tex]
is:
[tex] (-1)^nn!x^{-1-n}[/tex]
but why would the nth of ax be a^n? Shouldn't it be 0 for every n over 1 which would make the whole term 0?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not being asked to find the [itex]n^{th}[/itex] derivative of [itex]ax[/itex] nor is it even suggested by the "answer in the book."
 
but by the chain rule don't I have to multiply by the nth derivative of
(ax + b) ? I thought that the a^n was implied because that is the term that is missing from my answer: a^n * (-1)^n = (-a)^n .
 
Each time you take a derivative you reduce the power of (ax-b) and obtain an additional factor of a.