Issue calculating the derivative of a rational function

In summary: Yes, some people like to not have squares in the denominator so one simply multiplier both numerator and denominator by the relevant square so that the square disappears in the denominator.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the derivative of:
$$f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{\sqrt{ax}-1}$$
Relevant Equations
Theorems of the algebra of derivatives
First, I calculated the derivative of
$$D(\sqrt{ax})=\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}}$$
Then, by applying the due theorems, I calculated the deriv of the whole function as follows:
$$
f'(x)=\frac{\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}}(\sqrt{ax}-1)-\sqrt{ax}(\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}})}{(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}=
-\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}$$
Which is not the correct result I should get.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: Find the derivative of:
$$f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{\sqrt{ax}-1}$$
Relevant Equations:: Theorems of the algebra of derivatives

First, I calculated the derivative of
$$D(\sqrt{ax})=\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}}$$
Then, by applying the due theorems, I calculated the deriv of the whole function as follows:
$$
f'(x)=\frac{\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}}(\sqrt{ax}-1)-\sqrt{ax}(\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}})}{(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}=
-\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}$$
Which has nothing to do with the correct result I should get.

Your work and result are entirely correct though:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=\sqrt{ax}/(\sqrt{ax}-1)+derivative

Alternatively, you can define ##g(x) = \frac{x}{x-1}## and note that ##f(x) = g(\sqrt{ax})## and invoke the chain rule to calculate the derivative, but your approach is the most natural.

Likes greg_rack
Math_QED said:
Your work and result are entirely correct though:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=\sqrt{ax}/(\sqrt{ax}-1)+derivative

Alternatively, you can define ##g(x) = \frac{x}{x-1}## and note that ##f(x) = g(\sqrt{ax})## and invoke the chain rule to calculate the derivative, but your approach is the most natural.
Mmm, that's odd but plausible.
Here's what my textbook regards as the correct form:
$$f'(x)=-\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{2x(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}$$
Is there a way to write my ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{ax}}## term in the form of ##\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{x}##?
I've thought about it but didn't find a solution... is simply the textbook wrong?

greg_rack said:
Which is not the correct result I should get.
It looks right to me too. Another idea is that sometimes these things are easier with a general function:
$$f(x) = \frac{g(x)}{g(x) - 1}$$ $$f'(x) = \frac{g'(x)}{g(x) - 1} - \frac{g(x)g'(x)}{(g(x) - 1)^2} = \frac{-g'(x)}{(g(x) - 1)^2}$$

Likes greg_rack
$$
-\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax}(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2} =? -\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{2x(\sqrt{ax}-1)^2}$$

PeroK said:
Is there a way to write my ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{ax}}## term in the form of ##\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{x}##?
I've thought about it but didn't find a solution... is simply the textbook wrong?
Those expressions look very equal to me!

• Haha
Likes greg_rack
Guys, nevermind... I simply didn't notice that ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{ax}}##(my result) is just the same as ##\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{x}## from the textbook!
Silly me, by the way, thanks for the ideas and help! @PeroK @Math_QED :cool:

Likes PeroK
greg_rack said:
Guys, nevermind... I simply didn't notice that ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{ax}}##(my result) is just the same as ##\frac{\sqrt{ax}}{x}## from the textbook!
Silly me, by the way, thanks for the ideas and help! @PeroK @Math_QED :cool:

Yes, some people like to not have squares in the denominator so one simply multiplier both numerator and denominator by the relevant square so that the square disappears in the denominator.

Likes greg_rack

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomials. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. How do you calculate the derivative of a rational function?

To calculate the derivative of a rational function, you can use the quotient rule. The quotient rule states that the derivative of f(x) = p(x)/q(x) is equal to (q(x)f'(x) - p(x)q'(x))/[q(x)]^2. This means that you need to take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately, and then use the formula to find the derivative of the rational function.

3. Can you give an example of calculating the derivative of a rational function?

Yes, for example, let's find the derivative of f(x) = (x^2 + 3x + 2)/(x + 1). Using the quotient rule, we get f'(x) = [(x + 1)(2x + 3) - (x^2 + 3x + 2)(1)]/[(x + 1)^2]. Simplifying this, we get f'(x) = (x^2 + 5x + 1)/[(x + 1)^2].

4. Are there any other methods for calculating the derivative of a rational function?

Yes, you can also use the product rule and chain rule to calculate the derivative of a rational function. However, the quotient rule is specifically designed for finding the derivative of a rational function and is often the simplest method to use.

5. Why is it important to know how to calculate the derivative of a rational function?

The derivative of a function represents its rate of change at a specific point, and it is an essential concept in calculus. Rational functions are commonly used in many real-world applications, and being able to calculate their derivative allows us to analyze and understand their behavior and make predictions about their values at different points.