1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find out if it's linear transformation

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does a linear transformation ##g : \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## so that ##g((2, -3)) = (5, -4)## and ##g((-\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4})) = (0, 2)## exist?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a linear transformation to exist we need to know if those two satisfy the following conditions:
    ##g(\vec v_1 + \vec v_2) = g(\vec v_1) + g(\vec v_2)## for any ##\vec v_1, \vec v_2## in ##\mathbb{R}^2##
    ##g(\alpha \vec v) = \alpha g(\vec v)## for any scalar ##\alpha##
    So I thought I should do like this:
    I sum the two vectors ##(2, -3)## and ##(-\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4})## like this ##g((2, -3) + (-\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4}))## and put it equal to the sum of ##(5, -4)## and ##(0, 2)##. I will then have something like this:
    ##g((2, -3) + (-\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4})) = (5, -4) + (0, 2)##
    ##g((\frac{3}{2}, -\frac{9}{4})) = (5, -2)##
    But at this point I actually don't know if it really exist or not. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you notice anything about the two vectors being acted on by ##g##?

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3
    Oh! If I multiply by ##-4## the second vector acted on by ##g##, I'll get the first vector! But I have to multiply the vector that is is equal to by ##-4## too. And since ##(0, -8)## is not equal to ##(5, -4)## means that the linear transformation doesn't exist, right?

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted