1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find out the speed of an object

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10.0 kg box is acted on by a constant force of 50.0 N. If it passes a first timer with a speed of 2.0 m/s and then travels 150 cm to a second timer, what would its speed be as it passes the second timer?

2. Relevant equations
    I know usually to find out the speed of an object it is usually distance over time.
    I know the distance being 150 cm
    However as there is no time i've come to a complete stand still

3. The attempt at a solution
    Stuck at the beginning, if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What equations do you know related to motion under constant acceleration?

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3
    Vf = Vi + at
    If that helps at all.
    I have the distance, just not the acceleration to use that equation

5. Jan 26, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You should be familiar with the SUVAT equations if you are expected to solve a problem like this.
    See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Uniform_acceleration.
    As for the acceleration, you are given enough information to find it. Which of Newton's laws relates force to acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted