1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Period of rotation of the copper ring in a Magnetic Field

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Copper Ring with Radius [itex]r[/itex] and mass [itex]m[/itex] hangs by a thread and rotates with a period [itex]T[/itex]. Ring's coefficient of self inductance is [itex]L[/itex] . What would be a new rotation period of ring, if it was in a horisontal uniform magnetic [itex]B [/itex] field, which is parallel to Ring's plane on a picture? Ring's moment of inertia(axis goes through the centre of mass of Ring) is [itex]J[/itex]. Ring has no electrical resistance.

2. Answer:

[itex]T' = \frac{T}{\sqrt{1 + \frac{B^2 r^4 T^2}{4LJ}}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ring has no resistance, then magnetic flux is:

[itex]\Phi = LI + \vec{B}\vec{S} = const[/itex]

initial conditions:

[itex]\vec{B}\vec{S} = 0 ; I = 0[/itex]

[itex]LI = - BScos \angle(B,S) \rightarrow I = -\frac{BScos \angle(B,S)}{L}[/itex]

And after this stage I have big troubles :(
    I think, I have to use the Magnetic and angular moments but I don't know how :(

The only one idea I have is following:
    [itex] p_m - <p_{el}> = <p_m'>[/itex]
    [itex] Jw - IS = Jw'[/itex]
    [itex] \frac{J2\pi}{T} + \frac{BS^2<cos \angle(B,S)>}{L} = \frac{J2\pi}{T'} [/itex]
    [itex]<cos \angle(B,S)> = 0[/itex]

ofc, It's the wrong solution :)
    help me, please

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2
  4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    I have just solved this problem :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook