Find phase angle of RLC network

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit with an inductor and two unknown voltages. Two different methods are suggested, with the second method being more effective. The first approach involves adding voltages and impedances together, while the second approach involves using the formula delta V = I * Z to find the potential drop across the inductor. The details of the second attempt are not provided, but it is mentioned that the first attempt resulted in an incorrect answer.
D.B0004

Homework Statement

Please see attachment for circuit and parameters.

Homework Equations

i --> 90 phase angle for inductor so Z of inductor = 0.5<90
sum of voltages = 0
#<40 = #*cos(40) + i*sin(40)*#

The Attempt at a Solution

shteii01 - 100 + 0.5<90 + V2<theta = 0 --> 100 + 0.5*cos(90) + i*sin(90)0.5+V2*cos(theta)+i*sin(theta)*V2 = 0 --> two unknowns
OR
delta V = I * Z and then take V1 - delta V to find V2. The work seems simple but I get the wrong answer! Note that the answer I have in the attachment was my first solution which I did in my head - not the one I got from the methods shown above. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 6.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 6.49.54 PM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your first approach because you would appear to be adding voltages and impedances together in some way. But your second approach should work just fine. Since you are given the current you can find the potential drop across the inductor as you say. Can you show the details of that attempt?

1. What is the purpose of finding the phase angle of an RLC network?

The phase angle of an RLC network is important because it tells us about the relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit. It helps us understand how the circuit is behaving and can be used to calculate important values such as power and impedance.

2. How do you calculate the phase angle of an RLC network?

The phase angle of an RLC network can be calculated by taking the inverse tangent of the ratio of the inductive reactance (XL) to the capacitive reactance (XC). This can be expressed as tan⁻¹(XL/XC).

3. What factors can affect the phase angle of an RLC network?

The phase angle of an RLC network can be affected by the values of the components in the circuit (resistance, inductance, and capacitance), as well as the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, the presence of any harmonics or external interference can also impact the phase angle.

4. How does the phase angle of an RLC network change with frequency?

The phase angle of an RLC network is directly proportional to the frequency of the input signal. As the frequency increases, the phase angle also increases. This is because the reactances of the inductor and capacitor are frequency-dependent and will change with the input signal.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the phase angle of an RLC network?

The phase angle of an RLC network is used in various applications, such as power factor correction, filter design, and impedance matching. It is also important in the analysis and troubleshooting of electronic circuits, particularly in AC circuits.