Find polynoms, with as least as power possible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theofilius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
136 replies · 15K views
Theofilius
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find polynoms, with as least as power possible, so they will be competent for the equation.

[tex](x^4+2x^3+x+1)A(x) + (x^4+x^3-2x^2+2x-1)B(x)=x^3-2x[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Theofilius! :smile:

Just use trial and error …

A and B scalars obviously doesn't work.

So try A and B first-order, of the form A(x) = ax + b, B(x) = cx + d; if that doesn't work, try second-order, if that doesn't work …

Good luck! :smile:
 
Is there another way, much sure than this one ? :)
 
There are two ways to do it- you can wave a magic wand or you can do the work! Why would you consider what Tiny Tim suggested "not sure"?

A little thought might simplify the work: since there are no x4, x2 or constant terms on the right hand side, those will have to cancel out on the left.
 
I mean, if it is [tex]x^100 + x^99[/tex], aren't any fixed way? If not its ok.
 
Theofilius said:
I mean, if it is [tex]x^100 + x^99[/tex], aren't any fixed way? If not its ok.

(erm … you have to use {} round the 100 or the 99, or it comes out like … well, like that!)

Sorry, Theofilius, not understanding you … not even with the babel fish. :confused:
 
Sorry, I meant if there any 100% way sure, is there any fixed way, so I can solve the equation withouth trying?
 
Theofilius said:
Sorry, I meant if there any 100% way sure, is there any fixed way, so I can solve the equation withouth trying?

:smile: Theofilius, nice try! :smile:​

… but there wouldn't be any point in your teachers setting these exercises if you could do them without trying, would there? :smile:
 
Sorry, if I am misunderstud. I want to know is there any fixed principle for solving this equation? If not, its ok. In which form will be A(x). [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]. What about B(x)?
 
Theofilius said:
Sorry, if I am misunderstud. I want to know is there any fixed principle for solving this equation? If not, its ok. In which form will be A(x). [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]. What about B(x)?

So far as I know, the "fixed principle" is the trial-and-error method I suggested.

(It may also be possible to do it by dividing by [tex]x^3\,-\,2x[/tex] and then dealing with the remainders, but
(a) I think that might take even longer for a relatively short problem like this, and
(b) you're not good at dividing by polynomials, are you?)

Try A(x) and B(x) both of the form ax + b first.

If that doesn't work, try A(x) and B(x) both of the form [tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex].

If that doesn't work, … :smile:
 
I tried with dividing, but it didn't worked. I will try with the other method.
 
Ok, I tried to solve the system of equation, and it didn't work.
[tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ex^2+fx+g[/tex]
Also I tried with
[tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]
and nothing.
 
Attachments
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 526
There are 1000 of combinations, isn't any simpler way of doing this job?
 
You're almost there …

Theofilius, you're giving up too easily …

You're nearly half-way there, because your own equations immdiately eliminate some of the unknowns.

You've written a + e = 0 and c - g = 0.

So e = -a, and g = c.

Now rewrite the other four equations, without e and g (for example the second line is b + a + f = 0) … :smile:
 
Really if some polynom is given, we should try (ax+b) for the 1st one, and then (cx+d) for the second one. If not, then (ax^2+bx+f), and for the 2nd one (cx+d) and vice versa, which is too complicated, and wasting time, there must be some other solution, less complicated than this one.
 
I hope so that there is another way, because if it is given on some paper test, it will take me 30min. to solve it.
 
By dividing the whole polynom with [itex]x^3-2x[/itex], we receive:

[tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=1[/tex]

Now, [tex]1=0*A(x)+\frac{1}{B(x)}B(x)[/tex]

Now, we can make some system, what do you think?
 
Last edited:
The answer …

Hi Theofilius and Physicsissuef! :smile:

The solution is:
:smile: [tex]A(x)\,=\,(3x^3\,+\,3x^2\,-\,7x\,+\,2)\,;\,B(x)\,=\,(-3x^3\,-6x^2\,+\,x\,+\,2)\,.[/tex] :smile:​

But the way I go it is fairly horrible :frown:, so I'm going to carry on thinking about it - I'm sure there must be a simpler way!

Theofilius, what did they teach you in class about remainders? Maybe there's a clue in there somwehere …
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Theofilius and Physicsissuef! :smile:

The solution is:
:smile: [tex]A(x)\,=\,(3x^3\,+\,3x^2\,-\,7x\,+\,2)\,;\,B(x)\,=\,(-3x^3\,-6x^2\,+\,x\,+\,2)\,.[/tex] :smile:​

But the way I go it is fairly horrible :frown:, so I'm going to carry on thinking about it - I'm sure there must be a simpler way!

Theofilius, what did they teach you in class about remainders? Maybe there's a clue in there somwehere …

What way you were using? Is my way, correct?
 
Physicsissuef said:
What way you were using? Is my way, correct?

erm … if you must know …
I put P = 1/2(A+B), Q = 1/2(A-B),
then Q = xR, then P + R/2 = U, 3P/2 + R = V, which gave me:
:redface: [tex]x^2(x^2\,-\,1)U\,+\,(x^2\,+\,1)V\,=\,x^2\,-\,2\,.[/tex] :redface:​

Sorry, but I didn't understand your way … how does it go on? :confused:
 
First, I divide by [itex]x^3-2x[/tex]<br /> and then<br /> [tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=1[/tex]<br /> <br /> [tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=0*A(x)+\frac{1}{B(x)}B(x)[/tex][/itex]
 
Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

I understand how you get from the first line to the second line … but not why. :confused:

Where would you go from there?
 
[tex]\frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x}=\frac{1}{B}[/tex]

I could find B, probably out of here.
 
Or It is better to write:
[tex] \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x}=\frac{2}{A}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x}= - \frac{1}{B}[/tex]
 
Physicsissuef, A and B are polynomials (cubic ones, as it turns out).

You can't treat them as if they were numbers and expect them to make valid fractions! :smile:

I really can't see this working … :cry:
 
If u substitute the given polynoms (which are A and B), you will see that it works.
Anyway, can you explain me, please, how did you find the polynom? I can't understand anything from your post.
 
Physicsissuef, I have explained it!

The proof is far too long for me to type out in LaTeX.

But if you follow my substitutions (P and Q for A and B, and so on), slowly and carefully, you'll find that it works! :smile:

oh, and the solution to
[tex]x^2(x^2\,-\,1)U\,+\,(x^2\,+\,1)V\,=\,x^2\,-\,2\,.[/tex]​
is, of course, U = -3/2, V = 3[tex]x^2[/tex]/2 - 2. :smile: