1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find polynoms, with as least as power possible

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find polynoms, with as least as power possible, so they will be competent for the equation.

[tex](x^4+2x^3+x+1)A(x) + (x^4+x^3-2x^2+2x-1)B(x)=x^3-2x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    Please help.

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Theofilius! :smile:

Just use trial and error …

A and B scalars obviously doesn't work.

So try A and B first-order, of the form A(x) = ax + b, B(x) = cx + d; if that doesn't work, try second-order, if that doesn't work …

Good luck! :smile:

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    Is there another way, much sure than this one ? :)

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two ways to do it- you can wave a magic wand or you can do the work! Why would you consider what Tiny Tim suggested "not sure"?

A little thought might simplify the work: since there are no x4, x2 or constant terms on the right hand side, those will have to cancel out on the left.

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    I mean, if it is [tex]x^100 + x^99[/tex], aren't any fixed way? If not its ok.

8. Mar 9, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(erm … you have to use {} round the 100 or the 99, or it comes out like … well, like that!)

Sorry, Theofilius, not understanding you … not even with the babel fish. :confused:

9. Mar 9, 2008 #8
    Sorry, I meant if there any 100% way sure, is there any fixed way, so I can solve the equation withouth trying?

10. Mar 9, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Theofilius, nice try! :rofl:​

… but there wouldn't be any point in your teachers setting these exercises if you could do them without trying, would there? :smile:

11. Mar 9, 2008 #10
    Sorry, if I am misunderstud. I want to know is there any fixed principle for solving this equation? If not, its ok. In which form will be A(x). [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]. What about B(x)?

12. Mar 9, 2008 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far as I know, the "fixed principle" is the trial-and-error method I suggested.

(It may also be possible to do it by dividing by [tex]x^3\,-\,2x[/tex] and then dealing with the remainders, but
    (a) I think that might take even longer for a relatively short problem like this, and
    (b) you're not good at dividing by polynomials, are you?)

Try A(x) and B(x) both of the form ax + b first.

If that doesn't work, try A(x) and B(x) both of the form [tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex].

If that doesn't work, … :smile:

13. Mar 9, 2008 #12
    I tried with dividing, but it didn't worked. I will try with the other method.

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13
    Ok, I tried to solve the system of equation, and it didn't work.
    [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ex^2+fx+g[/tex]
    Also I tried with
    [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]
    and nothing.

Attached Files:

15. Mar 10, 2008 #14
    There are 1000 of combinations, isnt any simpler way of doing this job?

16. Mar 10, 2008 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're almost there …

Theofilius, you're giving up too easily …

You're nearly half-way there, because your own equations immdiately eliminate some of the unknowns.

You've written a + e = 0 and c - g = 0.

So e = -a, and g = c.

Now rewrite the other four equations, without e and g (for example the second line is b + a + f = 0) … :smile:

17. Mar 10, 2008 #16
    it has no solution

18. Mar 11, 2008 #17
    Really if some polynom is given, we should try (ax+b) for the 1st one, and then (cx+d) for the second one. If not, then (ax^2+bx+f), and for the 2nd one (cx+d) and vice versa, which is too complicated, and wasting time, there must be some other solution, less complicated than this one.

19. Mar 12, 2008 #18
    I hope so that there is another way, because if it is given on some paper test, it will take me 30min. to solve it.

20. Mar 12, 2008 #19
    By dividing the whole polynom with [itex]x^3-2x[/itex], we receive:

[tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=1[/tex]

Now, [tex]1=0*A(x)+\frac{1}{B(x)}B(x)[/tex]

Now, we can make some system, what do you think?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  21. Mar 13, 2008 #20
    tiny-tim what do you think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?