1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Qh of a heat engine

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. Thot reservoir= 600K, Tcold reservoir= 300K, Output= 0.5 J of work for every J of thermal energy extracted from the hot reservoir. What is Qh?

2. efficiency= W/Qh; Carnot efficiency= 1- (Tcold/Thot);

3. I have found the Carnot efficiency to be 0.50. I don't know where to go after this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. what is the 1st law?
    2. what is the 2nd law? (the assumption seems to be that you're running a Carnot engine.)
    3. what is the definition of efficiency? oops, you have that equation already I see ...

3 equations, 3 unknowns.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    First Law: dU = Q-W; dU=0.0J because it returns to initial state (cyclic engine)

I am NOT running a Carnot engine, it's the only thing that I could solve for.
    Second Law: thermal energy will flow spontaneously from a hot object to cold object but cannot spontaneously flow from cold to hot object.

More on efficiency:
    Qhot= W + Qcold
    Efficiency= 1-(Qcold/Qhot)

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

So what is the efficiency?

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're right - you don't need to make the Carnot assumption. Answer Dr Claude's question!
    Combine your two equations above and you have the answer!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted