What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine and the effectiveness of a heat pump?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sora1607
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A Carnot engine uses hot and cold reservoirs that have temperatures of 1684 and 842 K, respectively. The input heat for this engine is |QH|. The work delivered by the engine is used to operate a Carnot heat pump. The pump removes heat from the 842-K reservoir and puts it into a hot reservoir at a temperature T`. The amount of heat removed from the 842-K reservoir is also |QH|. Find the temperature T`.


Homework Equations



Qc/Qh = Tc/Th
Qh = W + Qc

The Attempt at a Solution


This problem was posted before with no solution and now I'm running into the same problem. I've attempted the problem by first getting Qh=2Qc for the carnot engine. Then this input heat + W is used to operate a heat pump. So I got Qh + w = 2Qc. I'm stuck starting here. I'm not sure how this input heat would fit into the heat pump cycle.

The answer is suppose to be 1263
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the Carnot Engine section, how do you find the efficiency of the engine? (express W in terms of Qh).

For the heat pump section, we are inputting W to move Qh to some other reservoir Q (at temp T'). How do you find the effectiveness of a heat pump?