Find Ratio of Segments in Triangle XYZ

  • Thread starter Thread starter canadian_beef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ratios
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
canadian_beef
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For triangle XYZ, point P divides XZ in the ratio 3:1 and Q is the midpoint of XY. If R is the point of intersection of PY and QZ, find the ratio into which R divides PY.

Homework Equations



This is the only equation that may pertain to this that I can think of.
For line segment APB, vector OP= b/(a+b) OA + a/(a+b) OB, where O is any point and and b are the ratios.


The Attempt at a Solution



I really need help, this is all i can come up with.

we are looking for PR:RY

RP=1/4 RX + 3/4 RZ
RQ=1/2 RX + 1/2 RY

and RP, RZ, RQ, AND RY are vectors

help please
 
Physics news on Phys.org
are there any ideas? Is there something else I can tell you about this problem.