Vector divide with negative ratio?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the position vector of point P if it divides the segment AB in a given ratio. The question is unclear and uses strange terminology. The possible interpretations are either P being located at a distance of 3 from A and 2 from B, or at a distance of 5 from A and 2 from B. The terminology of using ratios with vectors is unusual, but it is explained as $\frac{\vec{AP}}{r}=\frac{\vec{PB}}{s}$. The negative sign in the coordinates of A (-1,6,4) and B (4,1,-1) is unclear and not explained.
terryds

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the position vector of point P if P divides AB in the ratio 5:-2 given A (-1,6,4) and B (4,1,-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

The only trouble I have is to understand the question...

Does it mean something like

A------------------>B<----------------------P
3 2

Or

A----------------->P<-----------------------B
5 2Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
What strange terminology! I've not seen anybody use ratios with vectors that way before.
I can only guess that when they say 'P divides AB in the ratio r:s' they mean
$$\frac{\vec{AP}}{r}=\frac{\vec{PB}}{s}$$

Which of your two options does that favour?

andrewkirk said:
What strange terminology! I've not seen anybody use ratios with vectors that way before.
I can only guess that when they say 'P divides AB in the ratio r:s' they mean
$$\frac{\vec{AP}}{r}=\frac{\vec{PB}}{s}$$

Which of your two options does that favour?

Hmm... I just don't understand what the negative sign means...
Is it really strange to use ratio with vectors? It's on the subchapter "Ratio Theorem" in Vector chapter.

What is vector divide with negative ratio?

Vector divide with negative ratio is a mathematical operation that involves dividing a vector by a negative number. This can result in a change in the direction of the vector, as well as its magnitude.

How is vector divide with negative ratio different from regular vector division?

The main difference between vector divide with negative ratio and regular vector division is the direction of the resulting vector. When dividing a vector by a positive number, the direction remains the same, but when dividing by a negative number, the direction is reversed.

What happens when the numerator of the division is a negative vector?

When the numerator of the division is a negative vector, the resulting vector will have a direction that is opposite to the original vector. This is because the negative vector will cancel out the negative ratio, resulting in a positive ratio and a reversed direction.

Is it possible to divide a vector by zero?

No, it is not possible to divide a vector by zero. Division by zero is undefined and has no meaning in mathematics. It is important to note that division by a number very close to zero can result in a very large vector, but this is not the same as dividing by exactly zero.

Can vector divide with negative ratio be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, vector divide with negative ratio can be applied to any type of vector, including 2D and 3D vectors. The resulting vector will have the same number of dimensions as the original vector.