Find real solutions to an equation

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation, but did not get a correct solution.
diredragon

Homework Statement

log(cosx)sinx = 4*log(sinx)cosx

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
i tried to solve it and uploaded my work but my last part reads
(cosx)^2 = sinx
(cosx)^(-2) = sinx
its weird that i don't see where i have made a mistake[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
(cosx)^2 = sinx
(cosx)^(-2) = sinx
its weird that i don't see where i have made a mistake
First of all:
Do you really mean (log(cos x))⋅sin x = 4⋅(log(sin x))⋅cos x ? (Mathematically speaking, that is what you wrote.)

Furthermore, it's difficult to say where you went wrong, without you giving more detail in your workings.

What is in the brackets i meant to be the base.

So, your initial problem must have had:
log(cosx)(sinx) = 4*log(sinx)(cosx) .​

SammyS said:
So, your initial problem must have had:
log(cosx)(sinx) = 4*log(sinx)(cosx) .​
yes and I am trying to show my work but the pic won't upload. Ill try to fix it

diredragon said:
(cosx)^2 = sinx
(cosx)^(-2) = sinx
It's weird that i don't see where i have made a mistake
diredragon said:
Sideways image.

I get the same result using change of base formula.

Rewrite that second result as:
1 = (sin x)(cos2 x)

I think only the first one has real number solutions.

diredragon said:

Homework Statement

As already noted, the above appears to be ##\log(\cos x) \cdot \sin x = 4 \log(\sin x) \cdot \cos x##
As it turns out, you intended the log bases to be cos(x) and sin(x), respectively

To make you work understandable, use either BBCode subscripts or LaTeX to write these expressions. Below are the a couple of examples of each, showing how they are formed and how they appear.
BBCode: log[SUB]cos(x)[/SUB](sin(x)) - renders as logcos(x)(sin(x) -- see https://www.physicsforums.com/help/bb-codes
LaTeX: ##\log_{\cos(x)}\sin(x)## - renders as ##\log_{\cos(x)}\sin(x)## -- see https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
diredragon said:

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
(cosx)^2 = sinx
(cosx)^(-2) = sinx
its weird that i don't see where i have made a mistake

I get
-(sinx)^2 + 1 = sinx
And
1 = sinx - (sinx)^3 for the two cases
How do i now find the real solutions out of this?

diredragon said:
I get
-(sinx)^2 + 1 = sinx
And
1 = sinx - (sinx)^3 for the two cases
How do i now find the real solutions out of this?
The first is a quadratic equation (in sin(x)).
The second one you better leave in the form @SammyS used, and try to see why he thought that it doesn't have a real solution.

From the first quadratic equation i get sinx=(-1+-(5)^(1/2))/2 the only real solution is + one because log is not defined for negative numbers. Using the identity i get cosx to be the same. How now do i obtain the real solutions? Is this correct?

diredragon said:
From the first quadratic equation i get sinx=(-1+-(5)^(1/2))/2 the only real solution is + one because log is not defined for negative numbers. Using the identity i get cosx to be the same. How now do i obtain the real solutions? Is this correct?
I also get ##\sin(x)=\frac {\sqrt{5}-1}{2}## as solution for the quadratic equation.You can indeed reject the other solution to the quadratic equation, ##\frac {-\sqrt{5}-1}{2}##.

I don't understand your remark about cos(x).

Anyway, ##\sin(x)=\frac {\sqrt{5}-1}{2}## should give you the real solutions (I think the solutions will have to include the ##\arcsin## function, but I'm not sure, maybe someone can find a nice solution without ##\arcsin##).

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
I also get ##\sin(x)=\frac {\sqrt{5}-1}{2}## as solution for the quadratic equation.You can indeed reject the other solution to the quadratic equation, ##\frac {-\sqrt{5}-1}{2}##.

I don't understand your remark about cos(x).

Anyway, ##\sin(x)=\frac {\sqrt{5}-1}{2}## should give you the reals solutions (I think the solutions will have to include the ##\arcsin## function, but I'm not sure, maybe someone can find a nice solution without ##\arcsin##).
I made a mistake concerning cosin i figured cosx = (1 - sinx)^1/2 but that doesn't help me. The solutions of this problem somehow involves specific angles.
I have the solution but not the process of solving. It reads (π/6, π/4].
Any chance someone helping us with this?

diredragon said:
I made a mistake concerning cosin i figured cosx = (1 - sinx)^1/2 but that doesn't help me. The solutions of this problem somehow involves specific angles.
I have the solution but not the process of solving. It reads (π/6, π/4].
Any chance someone helping us with this?
How can π/4 be a solution?
cos(π/4)=sin(π/4)=##\sqrt2/2##. Let's set ##y=\sqrt2/2##, then your original equation becomes ##\log_yy=4*log_yy##, or ##1=4##. :wink:

π/6 doesn't look like a solution either (did a quick check in Excel).

I don't understand either. It says in the problem to find all real solutions to that equation and it gives its solution as
All real solutions are in the range from pi/6 to pi/4 discluding the pi/6 and including the pi/4. I have no idea how they got to that.

Ow, you meant that the solution lies in that interval. Yes, that is the case, up to the 2πn terms.

Last edited:
How did it get to that? How to know which interval includes the real solutions to this?

diredragon said:
How did it get to that? How to know which interval includes the real solutions to this?
We know that ##\sin(x)=\frac {\sqrt{5}-1}{2}=0.618 ...##
##\arcsin(0.618)=0.666 ... ## in radians, and that is approximately 38°. (I take the solution in the first quadrant, as sin(x) and cos(x) must both be positive.)
So the solution indeed lies between π/6 (30°) and π/4 (45°).

Of course, once you have a solution x, x+2πn (where n is an integer) will also be a solution.

Likes diredragon

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It usually contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do you find real solutions to an equation?

To find real solutions to an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula.

What are real solutions?

Real solutions are values of the variable that make the equation true. They are called "real" because they are numbers that exist on the real number line and can be represented as decimals or fractions. Real solutions are also known as roots or solutions of an equation.

Can an equation have more than one real solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one real solution. For example, the equation x^2 = 16 has two real solutions: x = 4 and x = -4. This is because when squared, both 4 and -4 give a result of 16. In general, a second-degree polynomial equation can have up to two real solutions.

What if an equation does not have any real solutions?

If an equation does not have any real solutions, it means that there are no values of the variable that can make the equation true. This can happen when the equation has imaginary solutions, or when there is no solution at all. For example, the equation x^2 + 1 = 0 does not have any real solutions, as there is no real number that can be squared to give a result of -1.