Find rotation matrix that diagonalizes given inertia tensor

In summary: Look up the cosine and sine in a basic trigonometry textbook.You should also be able to see that ##R={{cosθ,sinθ,0},{-sinθ,cosθ,0},{0,0,1}}##.
mindarson

Homework Statement

In a particular coordinate frame, the moment of inertia tensor of a rigid body is given by

I = {{3,40},{4,9,0},{0,0,12}}

in some units. The instantaneous angular velocity is given by ω = (2,3,4) in some units. Find a rotation matrix a that transforms to a new coordinate system in which the inertia tensor becomes diagonal.

Homework Equations

I' = RIR^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a couple of approaches. First, I figure that I'm essentially just trying to diagonalize a matrix (the problem does not specify a particular transformation, just one that will diagonalize the tensor). So I used the equation above and found the diagonalizing matrix R by finding the eigenvectors of I and using them as the columns of the diagonalizing matrix R. I do not see any reason why this will not work, but when I checked it the matrix I came up with for R did not diagonalize I. But maybe my computations were hasty.

My second approach was to assume a certain transformation, i.e. a rotation of the body about, say, the x3 axis. Then the rotation matrix would be

R = {{cosθ, sinθ, 0},{-sinθ,cosθ,0},{0,0,1}}

and its inverse is

R^-1 ={{cosθ,-sinθ,0},{sinθ,cosθ,0},{0,0,1}}

I then compute the matrix I' = RIR^-1 and try to find a rotation angle θ that causes the off-diagonal elements to vanish. However, I have no idea how to proceed to find this angle. (Solve another system of equations?) Also, I have a distinct feeling that the solution should not be quite this complicated.

Can anyone give guidance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial approach should have done the trick.

Thank you for your reply! I tried my initial approach again, and this time it did work to diagonalize the tensor. I think I just was hasty in my calculations.

However, I wonder if you can help me think this through. I do not feel too comfortable just calling the matrix I found via the eigensystem a 'rotation matrix' without actually dealing explicitly with the angles and functions of the angles through which the coordinate system has been rotated. Is there a way, at least in principle, to arrive at this rotation matrix using my second approach, i.e. by using the transformation matrix that uses the directional cosines? Then I would feel more comfortable with my answer from a physical, versus just a formal, perspective.

But thanks again for your confirmation!

Both approaches are identical. One property of a rotation matrix R which you might have overlooked is that R Transpose = R inverse.

See wiki articles on Mass Moment ofIinertia and Rotation Matrix for the math.

Just normalize your eigenvectors. You should be able to see by inspection what ##\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta## are equal to.

1. What is an inertia tensor?

The inertia tensor, also known as the moment of inertia tensor, is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass within an object.

2. Why is it important to find a rotation matrix that diagonalizes the inertia tensor?

By diagonalizing the inertia tensor, we can simplify the mathematical representation of an object's rotational motion. This allows us to more easily calculate and analyze an object's rotational behavior.

3. How do you calculate a rotation matrix that diagonalizes an inertia tensor?

The rotation matrix can be calculated using the eigendecomposition method, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the inertia tensor. The eigenvectors then form the columns of the rotation matrix, and the eigenvalues are used to scale the eigenvectors.

4. Can a rotation matrix that diagonalizes an inertia tensor always be found?

Yes, as long as the inertia tensor is a symmetric, real and positive definite matrix, a rotation matrix that diagonalizes it can be found. This is known as the principal axis theorem.

5. What are some applications of finding a rotation matrix that diagonalizes an inertia tensor?

This process is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of rotating objects, such as aircrafts, satellites, and sports equipment. It also has applications in computer graphics and animation, where it is used to simulate realistic rotational motion.