Find RPM at which Lower Cord Goes Slack in Figure 5.72

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blocks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1007030/9/yf_Figure_5_72.jpg I have to find the number of revolutions per minute at which the lower cord goes slack.

The Attempt at a Solution



I just need to be sure: What they are asking me to find is the number of revolutions, so the lower cord is still tight, but it's the limit - so if the revolutions is a teeny weeny bit smaller, it goes slack?

If I have understood it correctly, is this the number of revolutions at which the block is only affected by the upper cord, and then the number of revolutions has be to bigger than that number? I hope you get me.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you understand what's being asked. At the point where the lower cord just barely goes slack, what is its tension?
 
- I mean, the text says "... just goes slack", so it is slack and thereby zero?
 
Niles said:
it is zero? :-)
Exactly. So set up your equations, set that tension equal to zero, and turn the crank.:smile: