Incline with Pulley, find the mass of one block.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Nirupt
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 20.0 kg block rests on a frictionless inclined plane of slope angle 30.0 degrees. A light cord attached to the block passes over a frictionlesss pulley at the top of the plane and is attached to a second block. What must be mass of the second block if the system is to be accelerating up and to the right at 2.00 m/s2?

https://dist-ed.waketech.edu/course...63858134f05bd87414264516909/InclineAtwood.png

Is a link to the image.

I found in class that the answer is 17.7 kg.. however I am stumped on where the numbers should go.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/incpl.html#c1 is the link where I use my formulas

Well I do know that if I isolate the mass on the incline

ƩFnetx = -m1g * sin(30°) + Fτ = 2*20

I got 2*20 because of ma, and I know for m1g I substitute (20*9.8) I also know that acceleration is going up the incline, and if I were to remove the pulley and put them on the x-axis, it would be going to the right which is positive, therefore, the acceleration is positive.

Solving for that I get, Fτ = 138N which I know to be true

Now.. isolating m2 I get
ƩFnetx = -Fτ + m2g = 2m

however I have two masses??

In a previous problem when I had to find the mass of m2 if I wanted the objects to be at rest or constant velocity (so I assumed F=ma, but the sum would be 0). I ended up finding the weight of M2 being 98N.. would I plug that in for m2g? I guess not considering it doesn't give me the answer.. but I just wanted some feedback on this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nirupt said:

Homework Statement



A 20.0 kg block rests on a frictionless inclined plane of slope angle 30.0 degrees. A light cord attached to the block passes over a frictionlesss pulley at the top of the plane and is attached to a second block. What must be mass of the second block if the system is to be accelerating up and to the right at 2.00 m/s2?

https://dist-ed.waketech.edu/course...63858134f05bd87414264516909/InclineAtwood.png

Is a link to the image.

I found in class that the answer is 17.7 kg.. however I am stumped on where the numbers should go.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/incpl.html#c1 is the link where I use my formulas

Well I do know that if I isolate the mass on the incline

ƩFnetx = -m1g * sin(30°) + Fτ = 2*20

I got 2*20 because of ma, and I know for m1g I substitute (20*9.8) I also know that acceleration is going up the incline, and if I were to remove the pulley and put them on the x-axis, it would be going to the right which is positive, therefore, the acceleration is positive.

Solving for that I get, Fτ = 138N which I know to be true

Now.. isolating m2 I get
ƩFnetx = -Fτ + m2g = 2m

however I have two masses??

In a previous problem when I had to find the mass of m2 if I wanted the objects to be at rest or constant velocity (so I assumed F=ma, but the sum would be 0). I ended up finding the weight of M2 being 98N.. would I plug that in for m2g? I guess not considering it doesn't give me the answer.. but I just wanted some feedback on this.
Your last equation should read ƩFnetx = -Fτ + (m_2)g = 2(m_2). Now do the algebra correctly to solve for m_2!
 
So I write the Equation..

m_2 = -138 + m_2g
--------------------
2

However, I still scratch my head at this, and I'm not sure if substituting would work either. Sorry if my algebra skills seem to be lacking... it is 1:37 a.m. where I am at currently.
 
Bring all of the mass dependent quantities to one side and factor it out. Divide the -Ft by accel - grav. You should end up with m_2 = (-138.1)/(2-9.81)