1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction with two stacked blocks and friction

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the problem:

Block A in the figure weighs 1.05 , and block B weighs 3.90 . The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.32. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if and are connected by a light, flexible cord passing around a fixed, frictionless pulley.See the attachment for a picture.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44607&stc=1&d=1330645523

2. Relevant equations

ƩFx=Max, Friction=uk*n

3. The attempt at a solution

My FBD for the upper block has N going up MG going down Fk going left and T going right (positive)

My FBD for lower has N going up MG going down (I included both weights) Tension and then both frictions going to the right, and the force required going to the left (which i made positive for this one)

I am not sure what i am missing in solving this. Help me see if I have the right set up please. For the bottem block I have:

Sum of forces in x = M*Ax

Pull - Tension - .32(4.95) -.32(1.05)= M*Ax

For the top block I have:

T-.32(1.05)=M*Ax

Am I correct for these equations, especially in the bottem block where I have subtracted both tensions, I am assuming this is correct because the table exerts friction but so would the top block as it is sliding across the top block.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct if you specify what M*Ax means in both equations.

ehild

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    M*Ax is mass * accel in the x direction from newton 2

Sum of forces in x = mass time accel in x

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    Can you possibly point me in the direction of what i am missing... i have 3 equations with 2 unknowns right now.

6. Mar 1, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it the same for both blocks???????

ehild

7. Mar 1, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You meant two equation with three unknowns, didn't you?

What do you know about the tension along a single rope ?

Do you know the acceleration if the blocks if they move along a straight line with constant speed?

ehild

8. Mar 2, 2012 #7
    Ehild thanks for your help yeah I did mean 2 eq and 3 unknown. After looking at this question that was exactly what I was was missing I must have read it too quickly constant speed tells me exactly what the acceleration is.

9. Mar 3, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook