Find Shortest Distance from z2+3x-xy=9 to Origin

  • Thread starter Thread starter theown1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
theown1
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a) what is the shortest distance from the surface z2+3x-xy=9 to the origin?

Homework Equations


I know that when you take the gradient of an equation the gradient is perp. to the vector and gives the direction of largest rate of inc.


The Attempt at a Solution


so I took the gradient of f(x,y,z) and i got
fx=3-y
fy=-x
fz=2z
I tried looking at these and thinking of it as a parameterized line and i got an answer of (3,0,0) but I don't think that it is right..
now I'm still a little confused on what i should do next, can someone help point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient won't help you find distance to the origin. I would recommend Lagrange multipliers here.