Find Speed in Centripetal Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 12K views
petern
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
The radius of curvature of a loop-to-loop roller coaster is 12 m. At the top of the loop, the force that the seat exerts on a passenger of mass m is 0.4mg. Find the speed of the roller coaster at the top of the loop. Answer: v = 12.83 m/s.

I assume .4 mg is the torque, right? I have no clue what to do. Please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of the loop...what forces provide the centripetal force? the weight and the force that the seat exerts...and so...you can find v...
 
Well mg is just the formula to find weight...so that the force exerted by the seat is 0.4*(the weight of the seat)

so that weight of seat+Force exerted by seat, provides the centripetal force
 
So I would use the equation F = ma and a = v^2/r. I wouldn't use v = (2*pi*r)/(T) because T = period and that info is not provided. But I still don't understand what I'm suppose to do with the m and .4mg.
 
ok..seems you aren't getting this...

Eq'n: Centripetal Force,[itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The weight of the seat(mg) + The force that the seat exerts on a passenger(0.4mg) provides the centripetal force.

This means that

[tex]F_c=mg+.4mg[/tex]

since [itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

then
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}=mg+.04mg[/tex]


What cancels out...and you have the value of 'r' and 'g'