1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Speed in Centripetal Motion

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    The radius of curvature of a loop-to-loop roller coaster is 12 m. At the top of the loop, the force that the seat exerts on a passenger of mass m is 0.4mg. Find the speed of the roller coaster at the top of the loop. Answer: v = 12.83 m/s.

I assume .4 mg is the torque, right? I have no clue what to do. Please help.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

At the top of the loop...what forces provide the centripetal force? the weight and the force that the seat exerts....and so....you can find v....

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    What do I do with the mg?

5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well mg is just the formula to find weight...so that the force exerted by the seat is 0.4*(the weight of the seat)

so that weight of seat+Force exerted by seat, provides the centripetal force

6. Nov 25, 2007 #5
    So I would use the equation F = ma and a = v^2/r. I wouldn't use v = (2*pi*r)/(T) because T = period and that info is not provided. But I still don't understand what I'm suppose to do with the m and .4mg.

7. Nov 25, 2007 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

ok..seems you aren't getting this...

Eq'n: Centripetal Force,[itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The weight of the seat(mg) + The force that the seat exerts on a passenger(0.4mg) provides the centripetal force.

This means that

[tex]F_c=mg+.4mg[/tex]

since [itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

then
    [tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}=mg+.04mg[/tex]

What cancels out...and you have the value of 'r' and 'g'

8. Nov 25, 2007 #7
    Solved! Thank you sooo much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?