1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find temperature of ideal gas, given n, P, Vi, Vf, and Work.

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The previous part of the question:

(a) 1 mole of an ideal gas in a container is at 303,000 Pa, volume is 0.005 m^3. What is the work done by the gas if it expands at constant pressure to twice its original volume?

(This was easy enough)

The part I'm having trouble with:

(b) Thus, find change in temperature of the gas.

2. Relevant equations

W = p.dV

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a), I used W = p.dV, and by multiplying together (303,000) and (0.005), I got 1515 J as work done.

I now have number of moles, Pressure, initial and final volume, and work. I need to find the change in temperature. I've looked through my notes, but I can't seem to find any equation which would give me the change in temperature.

Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    use charle's law and ideal gas eqn.

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    I know the ideal gas equation is PV = nRT, and I see that Charles' law is that volume is proportional to temperature, but I don't really understand how to work with 'is proportional to'?

How do I work with Charles' law?

Thanks for helping!

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    can you get initial temp. from ideal gas eqn and since volume is doubled so is temp.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    Ohhhhhhhh! Got you :) Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook