Find temperature of ideal gas, given n, P, Vi, Vf, and Work.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
daleklama
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The previous part of the question:

(a) 1 mole of an ideal gas in a container is at 303,000 Pa, volume is 0.005 m^3. What is the work done by the gas if it expands at constant pressure to twice its original volume?

(This was easy enough)

The part I'm having trouble with:

(b) Thus, find change in temperature of the gas.

Homework Equations



W = p.dV

The Attempt at a Solution



For (a), I used W = p.dV, and by multiplying together (303,000) and (0.005), I got 1515 J as work done.

I now have number of moles, Pressure, initial and final volume, and work. I need to find the change in temperature. I've looked through my notes, but I can't seem to find any equation which would give me the change in temperature.

Thanks very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know the ideal gas equation is PV = nRT, and I see that Charles' law is that volume is proportional to temperature, but I don't really understand how to work with 'is proportional to'?

How do I work with Charles' law?

Thanks for helping!
 
can you get initial temp. from ideal gas eqn and since volume is doubled so is temp.