1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the aceleration of the disk when falling (rotation)

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=48751&stc=1&d=1341000426.gif

I have that system and the problem says:

A disk of mass M and radious R are posed are shown. The disk is hanging by an ideal rope which is coiled up. From a smooth axis through the center of the disk is haning a body m. Calclate the module of the aceleration of the center of mass of the disk.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done this excercise but without the small mass hanging there. What I did was to use the torque and newton formulas, that simple. But here I've got two bodies and tensions are driving me crazy. Should I consider the bodies as a single one?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Hernaner28! :smile:
    Yes, since they're moving together, you can regard them as a single body …

add the m to the mass of the pulley, but not to its moment of inertia. :wink:

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3
    Done! Thank you!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=48753&stc=1&d=1341006280.gif

Attached Files:

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes! :smile:

here's a shortcut (i don't know whether your professor would approve of this, but it's certainly a good way of checking the answer) …

the force is (M+m)g, and the effective mass is the actual mass M+m plus the "rolling mass" I/r2 = M/2,

so a = (M + m)/(3M/2 + m) :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook