What is the binding force for a falling disk with string?

In summary, the problem involves a disk of mass ##m## and radius ##a## connected to a massless rope that is wrapped around it. The system has one degree of freedom, with the angle ##\phi## representing the rotation of the disk from its starting position. The Lagrange equations of the first kind are used to find the equation of motion and binding force, with the binding function being ##G(\phi, y) = y + a\phi = 0##. The resulting equations are ##m\ddot{y} + mg = \lambda## and ##\frac{ma^2\ddot{\phi}}{2} = \lambda a##.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Let's have a disk of mass ##m## and radius ##a## and massless rope tangled in it. One end of rope is tied to the ceiling and the disk is falling freely down. System has one degree of freedom. As a coordinate we can choose angle ## \phi## which says an angle of rotation from the start position. Find from the Lagrange equations of the first kind equation of motion and binding force.

Homework Equations

$$m\ddot{x}=F_x+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}$$
$$m\ddot{y}=F_y+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}$$
where G is binding function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that kinetic translation and rotation energy is connected. Probably by ## y=-a \phi## (##\dot{y}=-a\dot{\phi}## ) but generally I don't know what is my G function. I have seen a problem with pendulum or problem falling from ball where this functions are easy to guess. Please give me a kick.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:

Homework Equations

$$m\ddot{x}=F_x+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}$$
$$m\ddot{y}=F_y+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}$$
where G is binding function.
For this problem, you are working with the two variables ##\phi## and ##y## rather than ##x## and ##y##.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I see that kinetic translation and rotation energy is connected. Probably by ## y=-a \phi## (##\dot{y}=-a\dot{\phi}## ) but generally I don't know what is my G function.
You can rearrange your constraint condition as ##y + a \phi = 0##. Thus, you can choose ##G( \phi, y) = y + a \phi ##.

Vrbic said:
tangled in it
Do you mean wrapped around it?

haruspex said:
Do you mean wrapped around it?
Yes.

TSny said:
For this problem, you are working with the two variables ##\phi## and ##y## rather than ##x## and ##y##.You can rearrange your constraint condition as ##y + a \phi = 0##. Thus, you can choose ##G( \phi, y) = y + a \phi ##.
Ok I have some attemp of solution but I mean the result is wrong:
##G=y+a\phi=0## ,+ because of it goes against y direction
##m\ddot{y}=F_g+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}=-mg +\lambda##
##m\ddot{\phi}=0+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}=\lambda a##
Now I want find out ##\lambda ## =>
##\ddot{y}+a\ddot{\phi}=0 ##
##\ddot{y}=-g+\frac{\lambda}{m} ##
##a\ddot{\phi}=\frac{\lambda a^2}{m} ##

Vrbic said:
Ok I have some attemp of solution but I mean the result is wrong:
##G=y+a\phi=0## ,+ because of it goes against y direction
##m\ddot{y}=F_g+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}=-mg +\lambda##
##m\ddot{\phi}=0+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}=\lambda a##
The last equation (for ##\ddot {\phi})## is not correct. ##\phi## is an angular coordinate rather than a Cartesian coordinate, like ##x## or ##y##.
Do you know how to get the equation of motion for ##\phi## starting from the Lagrangian?

TSny said:
The last equation (for ##\ddot {\phi})## is not correct. ##\phi## is an angular coordinate rather than a Cartesian coordinate, like ##x## or ##y##.
Do you know how to get the equation of motion for ##\phi## starting from the Lagrangian?
It seems very reasonable. I believe I can manipulate with lagrangian :) For me is more familiar deal with Lagrange equation of second kind. So in this point of view I take a Lagrangian ##L=T+V=T_t+T_{rot} - V=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 + \frac{1}{2}J\dot{\phi}^2 - mgy=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 + \frac{1}{4}m a ^2\dot{\phi}^2 - mgy## =>
##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} =\frac{1}{2}m a ^2\ddot{\phi}=0 ##. ##\phi## isn't there but I feel it should be there probably due the constrain...or I don't know.
On the other hand in problem is written they want Lagrange equation of 1. kind...

Lagrange's equation for ##\phi## with constraint ##G(\phi, y) = 0## is $$\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = \lambda \frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}$$

TSny said:
Lagrange's equation for ##\phi## with constraint ##G(\phi, y) = 0## is $$\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = \lambda \frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}$$
I see... so my equations of 1. kind are
##m\ddot{y}+mg=\lambda ##
##\frac{ma^2\ddot{\phi}}{2}=\lambda a##
## y+a\phi=0## do you agree?

Vrbic said:
I see... so my equations of 1. kind are
##m\ddot{y}+mg=\lambda ##
##\frac{ma^2\ddot{\phi}}{2}=\lambda a##
## y+a\phi=0## do you agree?
##\ddot{y}=-g+\lambda/m##
##a\ddot{\phi}=2\lambda/m##
##\ddot{y}+a\ddot{\phi}=-g+3\lambda/m=0##=>##\lambda=gm/3 ##, ##\ddot{\phi}=\frac{2g}{3a} ## and ## \ddot{y}=-\frac{2g}{3}##.
A binding force is ##\vec{F}_B=\lambda(\frac{\partial G}{\partial y},\frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi})## ?

What is a falling disk with string?

A falling disk with string is a physics experiment that involves a disk or hoop of some sort attached to a string or wire and allowed to fall under the influence of gravity.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion, gravity, and tension in a hands-on and visual way.

What are the variables involved in this experiment?

The variables involved in this experiment include the length of the string, the mass of the disk, the angle at which the string is released, and the force of gravity.

What factors affect the motion of the falling disk?

The motion of the falling disk is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the disk, the angle at which the string is released, and the force of gravity.

What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment can teach us about rotational motion, gravity, and tension, as well as how these principles interact with each other. It can also help us understand how objects move under the influence of different forces and how changing variables can affect motion.