Find the altitude and the speed of two jets with Doppler Effect

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Edel Crine
Messages
89
Reaction score
12
Homework Statement
At an air show, I see two fighter jets fly overhead one after
another at supersonic speeds. However, I hear just one sonic
boom 1.086 seconds after the second one flies past, which
in turn happened 1.262 seconds after the first jet passed by.
I hear an announcement from the air show organizers that
the first jet is flying at 4/3 the speed of the second. Find their
speeds and the altitude at which they are flying.
Relevant Equations
f0=(c±v0)/(c-+vs)
Being honest, I couldn't do any works for this problem... (even couldn't start...)
Does anyone can help me for solving this...?
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Edel Crine said:
Homework Statement:: At an air show, I see two fighter jets fly overhead one after
another at supersonic speeds. However, I hear just one sonic
boom 1.086 seconds after the second one flies past, which
in turn happened 1.262 seconds after the first jet passed by.
I hear an announcement from the air show organizers that
the first jet is flying at 4/3 the speed of the second. Find their
speeds and the altitude at which they are flying.
Relevant Equations:: f0=(c±v0)/(c-+vs)

Being honest, I couldn't do any works for this problem... (even couldn't start...)
Does anyone can help me for solving this...?
Thank you!
Draw a diagram of where everything is when you hear the boom. Assign variables to the distances and post the diagram with whatever equations you can write.

What makes you think Doppler is relevant?