1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the angle made by two tangents

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the angle made by the two tangents to the curve ##x=\sin2t## and ##y=\sin(2t)\cos(2t)## at the point ##(0,0)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##
    (Derivative of a parametric equation)

3. The attempt at a solution
    ## x = \sin(2t) = 0 ## when ## t = 0, \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi,... ##
    ## y=\sin(2t)\cos(2t) = 0 ## at the same values of ## t##
    Taking the derivative of the parametric equations by using the formula in part two, I get ##\frac{2\cos^2(2t)-2t\sin^2t}{2\cos(2t)}## I get to plug in any value of t, so I choose ##t=\pi/2##
    With that t value, I get ## \frac{2(-1^2)-2(0)}{-2}## which is equal to ##-1##
    Now I'll try ##t=0##, and I get ##1##. Using ##t=\pi## I also get one. Therefore, the angle must be between -1 and 1 and be equal to ## t = 0, \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi,... ##
    My answer is 0.
    The correct answer is ##\frac{\pi}{2}##
    Could someone please enlighten me as to my mistake? That would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2
    Think about what you calculated...
    The slope you got at one time was 1, the slope you got at another time was -1 (both at the same point).
    What is the angle between a line of slope 1 and a line of slope -1?

You don't want to guess that because you got -1 and 1 as answers, the best thing to do is average them to get 0. -1 and 1 have nothing directly to do with angles, those are your slopes (dy/dx)

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    I see! The angle between them is 90 degrees. Thank you so much.

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    Now I get it! The angle is 90 degrees. Thank you so much!

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Glad to help. and just so you can visualize the parametrization:
    http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP11162061a3322c6679i6000012f58ad84fgbh939?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=64&w=286.&h=97.&cdf=Animation [Broken]
    We have two lines that cross the origin, with the slopes that you figured out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted