Find the arc length of f(x) (x^(5/4))/5

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Bryon
Messages
98
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



find the arc length of f(x) (x^(5/4))/5.
The integration limits are from 0 to 4.

Homework Equations



The arc length formula is integrate sqrt(1 + (f'(x))^2)


The Attempt at a Solution



f'(x) = (5/4)*(1/5)*x^(1/4) = x^(1/4)/4

integral of sqrt(1 + (x^(1/4)/4)^2) = integral of sqrt(1 + sqrt(x)/16)

The part I am stuck on is getting rid of either sqrt roots.

Ive tried this: integral of sqrt(sqrt(x)/sqrt(x)/ + x/(sqrt(x)16))
but that didnt get me any where...Any idea how to simplify this? I am thinking that there is some sort of algebraic simplification that I am missing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not start by trying the substitution [tex]u=1+\frac{\sqrt{x}}{16}[/itex]?[/tex]
 
just make the integral like this >>> int of (1/4)Sqrt(16+ Sqrt(x)) dx

then you can substitute >> u = 16 + sqrt(x)

it'll be easy ;)
 
Last edited: