Find the Area between Polar Curves

In summary, the conversation discussed setting up and evaluating integrals for the functions r = sin 2θ and r = cos 2θ in order to find the area of the region formed by their intersecting petals. The correct integral for this region is 4 ∫ sin^2(2θ) dθ + 4 ∫ cos^2(2θ) dθ, which yields an answer of π/2 - 1. The conversation also addressed the importance of using LaTeX when typing mathematical equations to ensure clarity and accuracy.
johnhuntsman
r = sin 2θ, r = cos 2θ.

I'm having some trouble setting this up.

$$1/2 \int_{\ -pi/8}^{\pi/8} cos^2 2θ~d\theta - 1/2 \int_{\ -pi/8}^{\pi/8} sin^2 2θ~d\theta $$

Which can be:

$$\int_0^{\pi/8} cos^2 2θ~d\theta - \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2 2θ~d\theta $$

Since there are 8 petals.

$$8 \int_0^{\pi/8} cos^2 2θ~d\theta - 8 \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2 2θ~d\theta $$

Which becomes:

____(π / 8)
[2sin 4θ]
______0

Which gives me the wrong answer. Somehow the answer is (π / 2) - 1. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with the way I set it up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
r = sin 2θ, r = cos 2θ.

____(π / 8)________________________(π / 8)
(1 / 2) ∫ cos2 2θ dθ - (1 / 2) ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
___-(π / 8)_______________________-(π / 8)

Which can be:

(π / 8)_______________(π / 8)
∫ cos2 2θ dθ - ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
0______________________0

(π / 8)___________________(π / 8)
8 ∫ cos2 2θ dθ - 8 ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
__0_______________________0

Which becomes:

____(π / 8)
[2sin 4θ]
______0

Which gives me the wrong answer. Somehow the answer is (π / 2) - 1. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with the way I set it up?

Let's focus on the parts of the graphs in the first quadrant. The petals of the two graphs intersect where θ = ##\pi/8## and at the origin (which corresponds to different values of θ for each function.

As θ runs from 0 to ##\pi/8##, the graph of r = sin(2θ) traces out the lower boundary of the intersecting region. As θ runs from ##\pi/8## to ##\pi/4##, the graph of r = cos(2θ) traces out the upper boundary of the intersecting region.

The area of this region (again, just the part in the first quadrant) would be:
$$ 1/2 \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2(2\theta)~d\theta + 1/2 \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4} cos^2(2\theta)~d\theta $$

Click the integral above to see how I did it in LaTeX.

Mark44 said:
Let's focus on the parts of the graphs in the first quadrant. The petals of the two graphs intersect where θ = ##\pi/8## and at the origin (which corresponds to different values of θ for each function.

As θ runs from 0 to ##\pi/8##, the graph of r = sin(2θ) traces out the lower boundary of the intersecting region. As θ runs from ##\pi/8## to ##\pi/4##, the graph of r = cos(2θ) traces out the upper boundary of the intersecting region.

The area of this region (again, just the part in the first quadrant) would be:
$$ 1/2 \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2(2\theta)~d\theta + 1/2 \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4} cos^2(2\theta)~d\theta $$

Click the integral above to see how I did it in LaTeX.

I gotcha.

Taking that integral and building on it:
$$ 4 \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2(2\theta)~d\theta + 4 \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4} cos^2(2\theta)~d\theta $$
Since there are 8 petals. That should give me the area in all 8 petals formed by the two curves?

[Edit] Changed integral to reflect [itex]8[/itex] being multiplied by [itex]1/2[/itex]. [Edit]

[Edit 2] When I evaluate this integral I get [itex]π/2 + 3/2[/itex]. [Edit 2]

Last edited:
johnhuntsman said:
r = sin 2θ, r = cos 2θ.

____(π / 8)________________________(π / 8)
(1 / 2) ∫ cos2 2θ dθ - (1 / 2) ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
___-(π / 8)_______________________-(π / 8)

Which can be:

(π / 8)_______________(π / 8)
∫ cos2 2θ dθ - ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
0______________________0

(π / 8)___________________(π / 8)
8 ∫ cos2 2θ dθ - 8 ∫ sin2 2θ dθ
__0_______________________0

Which becomes:

____(π / 8)
[2sin 4θ]
______0

Please read our FAQ on typing mathematical equations: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3
Typing in LaTeX makes it much easier for us.

micromass said:
Please read our FAQ on typing mathematical equations: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3
Typing in LaTeX makes it much easier for us.

I'm sorry. My humblest of apologies. I've always been to hasty in wanting to get help for my question I've never bothered learning how to do that. My apologies once again.

johnhuntsman said:
$$ 4 \int_0^{\pi/8} sin^2(2\theta)~d\theta + 4 \int_{\pi/8}^{\pi/4} cos^2(2\theta)~d\theta $$

[Edit 2] When I evaluate this integral I get [itex]π/2 + 3/2[/itex]. [Edit 2]
I get [itex]π/2 - 1[/itex]. The two integrals yield the same value, agreed?

It seems I integrated incorrectly : ( I do get [itex]π/2 - 1[/itex]. Thanks. I appreciate it.

1. What is the formula for finding the area between polar curves?

The formula for finding the area between polar curves is A = 1/2 ∫θ1θ2 (r22 - r12) dθ, where r1 and r2 are the two polar curves and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of intersection.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for finding the area between polar curves?

The limits of integration for finding the area between polar curves are the angles of intersection between the two curves. These can be found by setting the two polar equations equal to each other and solving for θ.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the area between polar curves as I would for finding the area between Cartesian curves?

No, the formula for finding the area between polar curves is different from the formula for finding the area between Cartesian curves. This is because polar curves are represented by radial distance and angle, while Cartesian curves are represented by x and y coordinates.

4. What happens if the two polar curves intersect multiple times?

If the two polar curves intersect multiple times, you will need to calculate the area between each intersection point separately and then add them together to find the total area between the curves.

5. Is there a graphical method for finding the area between polar curves?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the polar curves and visually determine the area between them. However, this method may not be as accurate as using the formula and limits of integration.