1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the area of a trapezoid using integration

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screenshot2012-01-31at33107PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-31at32458PM.png

2. Relevant equations

Screenshot2012-01-31at32726PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't see why you have to put the ((x/2)+ 3)dx next to the equation for a trapezoid. I also don't understand what number would equal x, 4? 2?. Also, the dx, what equation am I supposed to be deriving? .5((B+b)/2)h? that equation doesn't derive.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The left edge of the trapezoid goes from (-2, 2), on the left, to (4, 5), on the right. Since it is a line, its equation is of the form y= ax+ b. Setting x= -2, y= 2, that gives the equation 2= a(-2)+ b or -2a+ b= 2. Setting x= 4, y= 5, that gives 5= a(4)+ b or 4a+ b=5, two equations to solve for b. Subtracting the first equation from the second, (4a-(-2a))+ (b- b)= 5- 2 or 6a= 3 so a= 3/6= 1/2. Putting this into 4a+ b= 5 gives 2+ b= 5 so b= 3. That is, the equation of the top line is y= (1/2)x+ 3 which is the same as the f(x)=(x/2)+ 3 shown in the picture.

Now, imagine drawing a thin rectangle from the base, y= 0 to the top line y= f(x)= (x/2)+ 3. It height is just the y value minus 0, (x/2)+ 3. We can think of the base as being the very small number [itex]\delta x[/itex]. The area of that rectangle, height times base, is [itex]((x/2)+ 3)\Delta x[/itex] and, since we can cover the trapezoid by such rectangles, we can approximate the area by [itex]\sum ((x/2)+ 3)\Delta x[/itex]. That's what is called a "Riemann sum". We can take the limit as the bases get smaller and smaller, converting that Riemann sum to the integral [itex]\int ((1/2)x+ 3)dx[/itex]. Of course, x ranges from -2 on the left to 4 on the right so the integral is [itex]\int_{-2}^4 ((1/2)x+ 3)dx[/itex].

If F'(x)= f, that is, if f is the derivative of F (F is the anti-derivative of f) then [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= F(b)- F(a). You evaluate the anti-derivative at the lower and upper values, -2 and 4 in this problem and subtract.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    I found this technique over at the Khan Academy

1. find the antiderivative
    2. subtract the value of the B antiderivative from the A antiderivative

Hopefully I'll understand why later.

By the way, how do you get those equations with sigma notation in your post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook