Find the average force exerted on Superman's chest

In summary, Superman leaps in front of Lois Lane to save her from a volley of bullets. He sustains damage from the bullets, but due to his massive momentum, the bullets have a negative impact on him. The total momentum of the bullets before and after the collision is twice as much.
LesVampires
Superman leaps in front of Lois Lane to save her from a volley of bullets. In a 1 minute interval, an automatic weapon fires 149 bullets, each of mass 8.0 g, at 430 m/s. The bullets strike his mighty chest, which has an area of 0.74 m2. Find the average force exerted on Superman's chest if the bullets bounce back after an elastic, head-on collision.

i don't c what the area has to do with it i tried multiplyin

number of bullets x mass in kg x velocity / by the time in seconds 60

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost! That is the force if the collisions were purely inelastic (i.e., if the bullets stuck to Superman). These are elastic collisions.

then what would it be? the equation can't figure it out

What happens in an elastic collision?

well the v is halved right? so 1/2 mv2

No. What happens in an elastic collision?

momentum is conserved? like KE0=KEf

You are having conceptual issues, so please take this one step at a time. What happens in an elastic collision?

im honestly clueless at this point... energy is conserved?

What happens to the bullets? What is their velocity (NOT SPEED) before and after the collision?

oh its in the opposite direction

OK. So how much has the momentum changed? Remember that momentum, like velocity, is a vector quantity.

twice as much?

That's right. I don't like the question mark, however. It means you are guessing.

no I am not, coz it acts like distance vs displacement kinda, so i still don't get what's wrong with the equation

Spell things out then. Draw pictures. Momentum is conserved here, so the momentum changes incurred the bullets also happen to Superman (but in exactly the opposite sense, of course). So what exactly happens to each bullet? Be specific. Don't say "twice as much". (Twice as much as what?)

I have an early meeting tomorrow so I need to go to bed. Good luck!

never mind i got it!

1. How do you calculate the average force exerted on Superman's chest?

To calculate the average force, we need to know the total force exerted on Superman's chest and the duration of time over which the force is applied. We can then use the formula F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration, to determine the average force.

2. What is the mass of Superman's chest?

The mass of Superman's chest is not specified in any official sources. However, we can estimate it to be around 40-50 kilograms based on the average weight of a human male's chest.

3. How is the force exerted on Superman's chest measured?

The force exerted on Superman's chest can be measured using a variety of methods, such as force sensors, pressure plates, or even high-speed cameras. The most accurate method would involve directly measuring the force applied by an object, such as a punch or a collision.

4. What factors affect the average force exerted on Superman's chest?

The average force exerted on Superman's chest would depend on several factors, including the strength and speed of the object hitting his chest, the surface area of contact, and the angle at which the force is applied. It would also vary depending on the specific version of Superman and his physical abilities.

5. Can the average force exerted on Superman's chest be accurately determined in a fictional scenario?

No, since Superman and his physical abilities are fictional, it would be impossible to accurately calculate the average force exerted on his chest in any scenario. However, we can make educated estimations based on real-world physics and data.