1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the average value of a function

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the average value of a function of f(x)= |x+1| sgnx on the interval [-2,2]

2. Relevant equations

The average value formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I can divide |x+1| into two integrals from [-2,0] and [0,2] (I think?? can anyone confirm this is the proper split?) and add and solve. But what can I do about sgnx?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would split |x+1| into two intervals. x<(-1) and x>=(-1). And sgn(x) I would split at x=0. You might want to think about splitting |x+1|*sgn(x) into three intervals [-2,-1], [-1,0] and [0,2].

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    Ohh I see why you would split into three pieces. But...if I do split sgn(x) at x=0, which would mean [-2,0] and [0,2] and evaluate with |x| as my integral, wouldn't I get 0? (I know I'm suppose to get 4)

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, [-2,0] and [0,2} is not three pieces! Dick said to use [-2,-1], [-1,0], and [0,2].
    On [-2,-1], x+1< 0 so |x+1|= -(x+1). x< 0 so sgn(x)= -1. |x+1|sgn(x)= -(x+1)(-1)= x+1. Integrate that from -2 to -1.

On [-1,0], x+1> 0 so |x+1|= x+1. x< 0 so sgn(x)= -1. |x+1|sgn(x)= (x+1)(-1)= -(x+1). Integrate that from -1 to 0.

On [0,1], x+1> 0 so |x+1|= x+1. x>0 so sgn(x)= 1. |x+1|sgn(x)= (x+1)(1)= x+ 1. Integrate that from 0 to 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook