Is My Average Value Calculation for Function g(x) on Interval [-π, 0] Correct?

In summary: I apologize for any inconvenience.In summary, the OP attempted to solve the homework equation for the average value on the closed interval (-π, 0), but did not get an answer that matched any of the ones in the book. He believes that he may have made a typo, but cannot be certain.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

The average value of the function ##g(x) = 3^{\cos x}## on the closed interval ##[- \pi, 0]## is:

Homework Equations

3. The attempt at the solution

I used the standard method for finding average value over an interval with my calculator using an integral, and got the answer 1.3528. However, the doesn't correspond to any of the possible answers given in my solutions book (30.980, 18.068, 7.593, 4.347, 0.849). What am I doing wrong? Could someone find thr average value and verify that I'm correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you showed what you did.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

The average value of the function ##g(x) = 3^{\cos x}## on the closed interval ##[- \pi, 0]## is:

Homework Equations

3. The attempt at the solution

I used the standard method for finding average value over an interval with my calculator using an integral, and got the answer 1.3528. However, the doesn't correspond to any of the possible answers given in my solutions book (30.980, 18.068, 7.593, 4.347, 0.849). What am I doing wrong? Could someone find thr average value and verify that I'm correct?
What @axmls said.

Let me add a question. Are you sure you posted the exercise and the answers (yours and those from the book) correctly? Neither your answer nor the possible answers in the book is correct.

Samy_A said:
What @axmls said.

Let me add a question. Are you sure you posted the exercise and the answers (yours and those from the book) correctly? Neither your answer nor the possible answers in the book is correct.

Actually, the OP's answer is correct; Maple gets the average as 1.325276252 .

Ray Vickson said:
Actually, the OP's answer is correct; Maple gets the average as 1.325276252 .
Well, yes and no.

That's why I asked the OP to check his post, including his own answer. He gave 1.3528 as answer, which probably is a typo.
But without seeing anything of his calculations, I couldn't be sure. You are more generous. :oldsmile:

Samy_A said:
Well, yes and no.

That's why I asked the OP to check his post, including his own answer. He gave 1.3528 as answer, which probably is a typo.
But without seeing anything of his calculations, I couldn't be sure. You are more generous. :oldsmile:

OK: I see that I was not careful enough, and I had needed to clean my glasses.

1. What is the average value of a function?

The average value of a function is a single value that represents the overall behavior of the function over a given interval. It is calculated by finding the average of all the outputs (or y-values) of the function over the interval.

2. How is the average value of a function different from the average of a set of numbers?

The average value of a function is calculated by finding the average of the outputs of the function, while the average of a set of numbers is calculated by finding the sum of the numbers and dividing by the total number of numbers. The average value of a function takes into account the behavior of the function, while the average of a set of numbers does not.

3. Can the average value of a function be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function can be negative if the function has negative outputs over the interval. This means that the overall behavior of the function is below the x-axis.

4. How is the average value of a function used in real-world applications?

The average value of a function is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating average temperature, average speed, or average rate of change. It is also used in finance to calculate average returns or growth rates.

5. What is the relationship between the average value of a function and the area under its graph?

The average value of a function is equal to the height of a rectangle with the same area as the area under the graph of the function over the given interval. This is known as the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals and is a fundamental concept in integral calculus.