1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the bases for the eigenspaces of the matrix

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the bases for the eigen spaces? I handwrote the question and my work so it would be easier to read and attached it so see attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My work is on the attachment. My question is this what do I do when I have 3 eigenvalues like in this case -1, 6, 6 and two are the same like how do I find for a third base it makes no sense to me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have a mistake in your calculation for the eigenvectors for λ = 6. For this eigenvalue, there are two eigenvectors.

From your equations,
    x1 = (3/4)x2
    x2 = .......x2
    x3 = ............x3

Both x2 and x3 are arbitrary. You should be able to get two eigenvectors from the above.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks man I got it but can you tell me how abritary values are chosen I mean what if I set x1 to arbitrary?

5. May 10, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can do that, but I prefer to use non-leading entries in each pivot row as the arbitrary values, together with any variables whose coefficients are zero.

In the completely row-reduced matrix you end up with
    $$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -3/4 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

This matrix represents this equation:
    x1 - (3/4)x2 = 0

Since we have one equation but three variables, we're going to have two arbitrary variables.

The leading entry (1) is the coefficient of x1. The non-leading entry is -3/4, so I choose x2 to be arbitrary. The coefficient of x3 is zero, so I choose it to be arbitrary, too.

From the equation above, we have
    x1 = (3/4)x2
    x2 = x2 (arb.)
    x3 = x3 (arb.)

If you line them up as I did in my previous post you can pick off the eigenvectors by sight.

$$\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3\end{bmatrix} = x_2\begin{bmatrix} 3/4 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix} + x_3\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}$$

6. May 10, 2012 #5
    Thanks man that cleared it up for me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook