Find the bases for the eigenspaces of the matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the bases for eigen spaces and provides a solution for dealing with three eigenvalues, two of which are the same. The solution involves using non-leading entries in each pivot row as arbitrary values, along with any variables whose coefficients are zero. These arbitrary values can then be used to obtain the eigenvectors.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Find the bases for the eigen spaces? I handwrote the question and my work so it would be easier to read and attached it so see attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is on the attachment. My question is this what do I do when I have 3 eigenvalues like in this case -1, 6, 6 and two are the same like how do I find for a third base it makes no sense to me?

Attachments

• EPSON002.jpg
    EPSON002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 498
  • EPSON003.jpg
    EPSON003.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
DODGEVIPER13 said:

Homework Statement

Find the bases for the eigen spaces? I handwrote the question and my work so it would be easier to read and attached it so see attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is on the attachment. My question is this what do I do when I have 3 eigenvalues like in this case -1, 6, 6 and two are the same like how do I find for a third base it makes no sense to me?

You have a mistake in your calculation for the eigenvectors for λ = 6. For this eigenvalue, there are two eigenvectors.

From your equations,
x1 = (3/4)x2
x2 = ...x2
x3 = ...x3

Both x2 and x3 are arbitrary. You should be able to get two eigenvectors from the above.

Thanks man I got it but can you tell me how abritary values are chosen I mean what if I set x1 to arbitrary?

You can do that, but I prefer to use non-leading entries in each pivot row as the arbitrary values, together with any variables whose coefficients are zero.

In the completely row-reduced matrix you end up with
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -3/4 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

This matrix represents this equation:
x1 - (3/4)x2 = 0

Since we have one equation but three variables, we're going to have two arbitrary variables.

The leading entry (1) is the coefficient of x1. The non-leading entry is -3/4, so I choose x2 to be arbitrary. The coefficient of x3 is zero, so I choose it to be arbitrary, too.

From the equation above, we have
x1 = (3/4)x2
x2 = x2 (arb.)
x3 = x3 (arb.)

If you line them up as I did in my previous post you can pick off the eigenvectors by sight.

$$\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3\end{bmatrix} = x_2\begin{bmatrix} 3/4 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix} + x_3\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}$$

Thanks man that cleared it up for me

1. What is an eigenspace?

An eigenspace is a subspace of a vector space that is associated with a specific eigenvalue of a matrix. It consists of all the eigenvectors that correspond to that eigenvalue.

2. How do you find the bases for the eigenspaces of a matrix?

To find the bases for the eigenspaces of a matrix, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix by solving the characteristic equation. Then, for each eigenvalue, find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving the equation (A-λI)x = 0. The set of all the eigenvectors for a particular eigenvalue forms the basis for the corresponding eigenspace.

3. Why is it important to find the bases for the eigenspaces of a matrix?

Finding the bases for the eigenspaces of a matrix is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the matrix when it is applied to different vectors. It also helps in diagonalizing the matrix, which simplifies many calculations and makes it easier to solve certain problems.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenspace?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenspaces. Each eigenspace corresponds to a different eigenvalue of the matrix. If a matrix has multiple distinct eigenvalues, then it will have multiple eigenspaces.

5. What is the relationship between the eigenspaces and the eigenvalues of a matrix?

The eigenspaces of a matrix are associated with the eigenvalues of the matrix. Each eigenspace corresponds to a specific eigenvalue, and the dimension of the eigenspace is equal to the multiplicity of that eigenvalue. Additionally, the eigenvalues of a matrix can be found by solving the characteristic equation, which is formed by setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero.