Finding the Determinant to find out if the matrix is invertible

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake in the second attempt at finding the determinant of a matrix using a different method. The person making the mistake is reminded to check their calculations and is able to correct it.
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
I am given the following matrix. I solved the question and found out that the resulting determinant is 0, thus the matrix is not invertible. However, I tried the question in another method, and I am getting a different answer for the determinant. Why is the second method not working?
Relevant Equations
Theorem: if a multiple of one row of A is added to another row to produce matrix B, then det B = det A
question:
q.jpg

My first attempt:
ma1.jpg

my second attempt:
ma.jpg
So I am getting 0 (the right answer) for the first method and 40 for the second method. According to the theorem, shouldn't the determinant of the matrix remain the same when the multiple of one row is added to another row? Can anyone explain why the second method is not working?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunwoo Bae said:
Homework Statement:: I am given the following matrix. I solved the question and found out that the resulting determinant is 0, thus the matrix is not invertible. However, I tried the question in another method, and I am getting a different answer for the determinant. Why is the second method not working?
Relevant Equations:: Theorem: if a multiple of one row of A is added to another row to produce matrix B, then det B = det A

question:
View attachment 266772

My first attempt:
View attachment 266773

my second attempt:
View attachment 266774So I am getting 0 (the right answer) for the first method and 40 for the second method. According to the theorem, shouldn't the determinant of the matrix remain the same when the multiple of one row is added to another row? Can anyone explain why the second method is not working?

Thank you very much!
You made a mistake in your second attempt, in the 4th row above the bottom. Take another look at the 3rd deteriminant. You have (-8)(-1) = 9.

Likes romsofia
Mark44 said:
You made a mistake in your second attempt, in the 4th row above the bottom. Take another look at the 3rd deteriminant. You have (-8)(-1) = 9.
I got it! Thank you so much!

1. What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

There are several methods for finding the determinant of a matrix, including using cofactor expansion, row reduction, or the Leibniz formula. The method used will depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What does the determinant tell us about a matrix?

The determinant can tell us whether a matrix is invertible (has an inverse) or singular (does not have an inverse). It can also tell us the scaling factor of the matrix, which can be useful in transformations.

4. Why is it important to find the determinant of a matrix?

Finding the determinant of a matrix is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. It is used to solve systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine the behavior of systems.

5. Can a matrix have a determinant of 0?

Yes, a matrix can have a determinant of 0. This means that the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse. It also means that the matrix is not full rank, which can have implications in solving systems of equations.