Find the centre of mass of a semi circular plate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Neilquintal
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Find the centre of mass of a semi circular plate of radius R, the density of which linearly varies with distance, 'd' at the centre to a value '2d' at the circumference.
2. Xcom = (∫xdm)/M
3. I tried attempting the solution but I am not really knowing how to get dm in terms of dx
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a semi-circular plate, why not use polar coordinates to set up your integrals for the mass and the first moment?
 
Neilquintal said:
1. Find the centre of mass of a semi circular plate of radius R, the density of which linearly varies with distance, 'd' at the centre to a value '2d' at the circumference.




2. Xcom = (∫xdm)/M



3. I tried attempting the solution but I am not really knowing how to get dm in terms of dx
What is your equation for density as a function of x? What is your equation for dm as a function of x?

Chet