Find the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere?

In summary: Find E1 and E2 from the equation for the electric field at a point on the Gaussian surface.In summary, The electric field at a distance of 0.143m from the surface of a solid insulating sphere with radius 0.381m is 1630N/C.
hockey

Homework Statement

The electric field at a distance of 0.143m from the surface of a solid insulating sphere with radius 0.381m is 1630N/C .

a) Assuming the sphere's charge is uniformly distributed, what is the charge density inside it?

b) Calculate the electric field inside the sphere at a distance of 0.237m from the center.

Homework Equations

E1/E2 = r1/r2
E = Cr

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that the electric field for part a can be found by using the formula E=Cr, so I can get C = 4278.22 N/(C*m). I know that the charge density is a factor of C, but I do not know the actual formula for it.

b) This should be able to be solved with the ratio E1/E2 = r1/r2, and when I solve for E2 I get a result of 737.2 N/C. This result is not correct, but I am not sure if the problem is in my ratio.

Physics news on Phys.org
hockey said:
a) I know that the electric field for part a can be found by using the formula E=Cr, so I can get C = 4278.22 N/(C*m). I know that the charge density is a factor of C, but I do not know the actual formula for it.
You can figure it out though. Hint: what are the units of charge density?

b) This should be able to be solved with the ratio E1/E2 = r1/r2, and when I solve for E2 I get a result of 737.2 N/C. This result is not correct, but I am not sure if the problem is in my ratio.
Write out the equation for E1 and E2 separately, then find E1/E2.

a) 1. figure out what total charge Q is for an E field at the specified location.
2. Q = volumetric charge density x volume gives you charge density.

b) 1. Use Gaussian surface.

1. What is a solid insulating sphere?

A solid insulating sphere is a three-dimensional object made of a non-conductive material that does not allow the flow of electricity through it.

2. How do you find the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere?

To find the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere, you can use the formula Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume of the sphere. You will also need to know the dielectric constant of the material the sphere is made of.

3. What factors can affect the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere?

The charge density inside a solid insulating sphere can be affected by the material it is made of, the shape and size of the sphere, and the presence of any external electric fields or charges.

4. Why is it important to know the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere?

Knowing the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere is important in understanding the electrical properties of the material and how it behaves in different situations. It is also useful in designing and creating electronic devices and insulating materials.

5. Can the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere change?

Yes, the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere can change if there are any changes in the factors that affect it, such as the amount of charge, the volume of the sphere, or the dielectric constant of the material. It can also change if there are any external influences, such as the presence of external electric fields or charges.