1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coordinates of a and b

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    We are given two vectors [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] i [tex]\vec{b}[/tex]. We know that

[tex]2\vec{a}-3\vec{b}=\begin{bmatrix}0\\-17\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{a}+4\vec{b}=\begin{bmatrix}11\\19\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I have tried to solve this through a set of equations with two unknown, but don't really know how to do that:

[tex]\begin{cases}2a-3b=[0,-17]\\a+4b=[11,19]\end{cases}[/tex]

Thank you in advance for any clues:)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    As you can see from the original equations, the x and y components of the vectors are independent.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    Try to express what you know as a matrix equation: a matrix containing the components of the unknown vectors, multiplied by a matrix of some numbers equals another matrix of some numbers.

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can solve just as you would any pair of equations, just being careful to keep both components on the right. For example, if I had "2a- 3b= " and "a+ 4b= " whether they were number, vectors, matrices, or whatever, I would think "If I multiply the second equation by 2 and subtract, I will eliminate the 'a'!"

Okay, 2a- 3b= [0,-17] and 2a+ 8b= [22, 38]. Subtracting the first from the second, 11b= [22-0, 38+17]= [22, 55] and now I see that b= [2, 5].

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    Oh, yeah, that's simpler than what I had in mind:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_1 & b_1\\a_2 & b_2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1\\-3 & 4\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}0 & 11\\-17 & 19\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_1 & b_1\\a_2 & b_2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1\\-3 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1\\-3 & 4\end{bmatrix}^{-1}=\begin{bmatrix}0 & 11\\-17 & 19\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1\\-3 & 4\end{bmatrix}^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_1 & b_1\\a_2 & b_2\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}0 & 11\\-17 & 19\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\frac{4}{11} & -\frac{1}{11}\\\frac{3}{11} & \frac{2}{11}\end{bmatrix} = ...[/tex]

7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note:
    Thread moved to Homework area. Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook