Find the critical numbers of the function.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of g(y)=(y-1)/(y2-y+1) and determining the critical numbers. After taking the derivative, the denominator is always positive, so it is not necessary to consider it when finding the critical numbers. The correct critical numbers are y=0 and y=2.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

g(y)=(y-1)/(y2-y+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After I take a derivative, I get
g'(y)=[y(y-2)]/(y2-y+1)2

However,
(y2-y+1)2 does not have any solutions. Am I right that I just throw it away? As an answer, I only leave
y1=0, y2=2

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
phillyolly said:

Homework Statement

g(y)=(y-1)/(y2-y+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After I take a derivative, I get
g'(y)=[y(y-2)]/(y2-y+1)2

However,
(y2-y+1)2 does not have any solutions. Am I right that I just throw it away? As an answer, I only leave
y1=0, y2=2

Is that correct?

I wouldn't say "throw it away". I would just observe that the denominator is always positive. And I think you have a minus sign missing but your critical numbers are correct.

What is the purpose of finding the critical numbers of a function?

The critical numbers of a function help us determine where the function's maximum and minimum values occur. They are also used to help us find the function's inflection points.

How do you find the critical numbers of a function?

To find the critical numbers of a function, we need to find the points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or undefined. This can be done by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the variable, or by finding the points where the derivative is undefined.

Why are critical numbers important in calculus?

Critical numbers are important in calculus because they help us analyze the behavior of a function. They tell us where the function has extreme values and where it changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. This information is crucial in understanding the overall shape and behavior of a function.

Can a function have more than one critical number?

Yes, a function can have more than one critical number. In fact, most functions have multiple critical numbers, unless they are constant or have a very simple shape. This is because a function can have multiple points where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined.

What is the difference between a critical number and an inflection point?

A critical number is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. It indicates a change in the slope of the function. An inflection point, on the other hand, is a point where the concavity of the function changes. It is determined by the second derivative of the function and does not necessarily correspond to a critical number.