Integral of exponential over polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a variable coefficient ODE using the method of reduction of order. The approach involves assuming a solution in the form of y=c1*y1+c2*y2, with y1=x and y2 being the second solution reached through integration. The integral for the second solution involves using integration by parts and results in an expression that is similar to the error function.
AAO

Homework Statement

Solve the ODE: y''+x*y'-y=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a variable coefficient ODE, I have used the method of reduction of order, and assumed the solution in the form: y=c1*y1+c2*y2

In this case: y1=x, and I have the reached the integral below for the second solution (y2), Can anyone tell me how to approach this integral:

v=integral[ (x^-2) * exp (-0.5*x^2) dx]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AAO said:

Homework Statement

Solve the ODE: y''+x*y'-y=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a variable coefficient ODE, I have used the method of reduction of order, and assumed the solution in the form: y=c1*y1+c2*y2

In this case: y1=x, and I have the reached the integral below for the second solution (y2), Can anyone tell me how to approach this integral:

v=integral[ (x^-2) * exp (-0.5*x^2) dx]
Integration by parts leaves you with an integral that is (up to some constants) the error function.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the integral of exponential over polynomial?

The integral of exponential over polynomial is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of an exponential function divided by a polynomial function. It can be written as ∫e^x / (ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d) dx.

Is it possible to solve the integral of exponential over polynomial analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve the integral of exponential over polynomial analytically by using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

What is the significance of the integral of exponential over polynomial in real-world applications?

The integral of exponential over polynomial is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential growth or decay combined with polynomial functions. It is also used in statistics to calculate the expected value of certain probability distributions.

Are there any special cases or restrictions when solving the integral of exponential over polynomial?

Yes, the integral of exponential over polynomial can only be solved when the degree of the polynomial is greater than the power of the exponential function. Additionally, the polynomial must not have repeated roots or a zero degree term.

Can numerical methods be used to approximate the integral of exponential over polynomial?

Yes, when the integral of exponential over polynomial cannot be solved analytically, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the value of the integral.