Find the Current After the Capacitors Have Lost 80% of Stored Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


In the circuit shown in the figure each capacitor initially has a charge of magnitude 3.00nC on its plates.

A) After the switch S is closed, what will be the current in the circuit at the instant that the capacitors have lost 80.0% of their initial stored energy?

Image attached

Homework Equations


C=Q/V
V-IR


The Attempt at a Solution



Knowing that V = Q/C I tried to calculate the voltage

V = (3x10-9C)(1/15x10-12F + 1/20x10-12F + 1/10x10-12F)

V = 1x1024

Then using V=IR
I = V/R

I got 4x1022

It says this is wrong and I'm not sure what else to try. Help would be appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • physics hwk 7 prob 5.png
    physics hwk 7 prob 5.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 962
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculated voltage looks awfully high. Better check your arithmetic.

I don't see where you've accounted for the 80% drop in energy.