Find the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
sapiental
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
find the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt)

I get sec(x^4)(4x^3)

I understand the procedure for solving this integral. However, I don't understand why exactly we need to use the chain rule in this situation.

Why isn't the answer just sec(x^4)?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{x^{4}} \sec t dt[/tex]. Basically you are getting a derivative. If its a derivative then you have to use the chain rule.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. How about this problem

d/dx integral 0 to ln(x) (sint + t^3/2)dt

using the chain rule and ftc1 I get:

u = ln(x) du/dx = 1/x

d/du (sinu + u^3/2)du/dx

sin(lnx)+(lnx)^3/2 (1/x)

is this correct? Thanks again.
 
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{\ln x} (\sin t + t^{\frac{3}{2}}) dt[/tex]. So the derivative so far, is [tex]\sin(\ln x) + (\ln x)^\frac{3}{2} dt[/tex]. So then it would be:

[tex]\frac{\sin(\ln x)}{x} + \frac{(\ln x)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x}[/tex].
 
Last edited:
so my answer was off by not multiplying both parts by 1/x? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I took the derivative of u. i confirmed your answer.
 
yeah, both parts need to be multiplied by [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]. They both contain u and thus must contain du .