Find the dimensions of the rectangle

In summary, the goal is to find the dimensions of the rectangle with the largest area that can be inscribed in a circle of radius r. This can be achieved by using the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 and maximizing the area formula 4xy. However, in order to do this, the equation for y must be properly derived from the given equation. The correct equation for y is y = r - (x-a) + b. With this in mind, the final equation for the area can be written as 4x(r-(x-a)+b). In order to find the maximum area, the product rule must be used to differentiate this equation.
UWMpanther

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions of the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in a circle of radius r.

Homework Equations

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2
max area = 2x(2y)
= 4xy

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2
= y=r-(x-a)+b

I then plug this into the max area
= 4x(r-(x-a)+b)

I know I need to differentiate, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I know I need to use the product rule, if its setup properly.

Physics news on Phys.org

UWMpanther said:

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions of the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in a circle of radius r.

Homework Equations

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2
max area = 2x(2y)
= 4xy

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2
= y=r-(x-a)+b
How in the world did you get this? Surely not by taking the square root of both sides!

I then plug this into the max area
= 4x(r-(x-a)+b)

I know I need to differentiate, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I know I need to use the product rule, if its setup properly.
No, it not at all set up properly!

Ok wow I can't believe I did that.

So I FOIL it out and get this

x^2 = r^2 + 2ax - a^2 - y^2 + 2by - b^2

x= r-a-b+sqrt(2ax)+sqrt(2by)

Does this look better?

1. What is the formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle is length x width. This means multiplying the length of the rectangle by its width.

2. How do I determine the length and width of a rectangle if I only know its perimeter and area?

To determine the length and width of a rectangle if you know its perimeter and area, you can use the formulas P = 2(l + w) and A = lw, where P is the perimeter, A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width. You can rearrange the equation for perimeter to solve for one variable, then plug that value into the area equation to solve for the other variable.

3. Can the length and width of a rectangle be the same number?

Yes, a square is a type of rectangle where the length and width are the same number. However, in a regular rectangle, the length and width will typically be different numbers.

4. How many dimensions does a rectangle have?

A rectangle has two dimensions: length and width. This means that it is a 2-dimensional shape.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the dimensions of a rectangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It cannot be applied to a rectangle, which is a different shape.