1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding area of the affine translation of a rectangle

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a rectangle R=[1,3] x [2,4], and the affin translation F : R^2 -> R^2 defined by F(x,y) = (1,3) + A*(x,y), where A is the 2x2 matrix (2 , 7 ; 3 , 1), what is the area of the affin transelation of the rectangle R?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I cross the vectors of R I get the scalar 2. Is this the area of R before we transelate it? The determinant of A equals 19, and 2*19=38. So this is my answer and it is wrong. Right answer is 76, so I guess the area of R before translation should be 76/det(A)=4. Where am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The area of R is obiously 2x2=4 and it must be multiplied by 19 to get the translated area. What are the "vectors of R" that you crossed? Show us that.

4. Mar 18, 2015 #3
    R = [1,3] cross [2,4], so I think the vectors of R are [1,3] and [2,4] . When they are crossed the product is abs(4-6) = 2. I want the answer to be 4, but I don't know how!

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those are not the correct vectors to cross. You want the vectors along the sides of the square.

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In addition to what LCKurtz said, those aren't even vectors -- they are intervals along the x and y axes. Also, I don't know what you are doing when you say you are "crossing" these vectors. The vector cross product is defined for vectors in R3.

7. Mar 19, 2015 #6
    Okey, I misunderstood R = [1,3] x [2,4]. Then i makes sense that the area of R is 4 and 4*19=76 after the translation. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted