1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the direction of a electric field

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    Hey, My problem is that I am getting confused (although getting the answer right :confused:) on how to find the direction of a electric field, for example (right or left). I know it has something to do with a test charge but can anyone quickly explain it to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    Imagine the electric field as a banch of arrows (vector), the field ALWAYS points OUT from the POSITIVE charge and points INTO the NEGATIVE charge....

The force acts on the test charge follows the direction of the E-field if the test charge is POSITIVE, and oppose to the field if the test charge is NEGATIVE....
  4. Jan 17, 2007 #3
    Its easy mate, Electric field lines are directed from the higher potential to the lower potential.

So assume we have two plates, A and B. Assume B is earthed ( 0V) and plate A is at a potential of -200V.

So what would be the direction of the elctric field. From A to B or B to A.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?