Find the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian - Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, to find the eigenvalues of the given Hamiltonian, one can define a new operator b and solve a linear equation to determine the value of c and C. This will allow for the computation of the eigenvalues in a similar manner as a regular harmonic oscillator.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues of the following Hamiltonian.

[itex]Ĥ = ħwâ^{†}â + \alpha(â + â^{†}) , \alpha \in |R[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]â|\phi_{n}>=\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n-1}>[/itex]
[itex]â^{†}|\phi_{n}>=\sqrt{n+1}|\phi_{n+1}>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying the Hamiltonian to a random state n I get:

[itex]Ĥ |\phi_{n}> = E_{n}|\phi_{n}>[/itex]
[itex]Ĥ |\phi_{n}>= ħwâ^{†}â|\phi_{n}> + \alpha(â|\phi_{n}> + â^{†}|\phi_{n}>) [/itex]
[itex]Ĥ |\phi_{n}>= ħw\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n}> + \alpha(\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n-1}> + \sqrt{n+1}|\phi_{n+1}> )[/itex]
[itex]E_{n} |\phi_{n}> = ħwn + \alpha(\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n-1}> + \sqrt{n+1}|\phi_{n+1}>) [/itex]

This is where my problem arrives. I don't know how to prove that

[itex]\alpha(\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n-1}> + \sqrt{n+1}|\phi_{n+1}>) = 0[/itex]

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:
This is where my problem arrives. I don't know how to prove that

[itex]\alpha(\sqrt{n}|\phi_{n-1}> + \sqrt{n+1}|\phi_{n+1}>) = 0[/itex]

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks.

That linear combination doesn't vanish and the states ##|n\rangle## are not eigenstates of that Hamiltonian. The eigenstates will be infinite linear combinations of the ##| n \rangle##. However, constructing these eigenstates is certainly not the easiest way to compute the eigenvalues of this operator. I would suggest defining a new operator ## b = a + c##, where ##c## is a number to be determined by requiring that ##\hat{H} = \hbar \omega b^\dagger b + C ##, where ##C## is another constant. Using the commutation relations for ##b,b^\dagger##, you should be able to compute the eigenvalues in the same way as for the regular harmonic oscillator.

fzero said:
That linear combination doesn't vanish and the states ##|n\rangle## are not eigenstates of that Hamiltonian. The eigenstates will be infinite linear combinations of the ##| n \rangle##. However, constructing these eigenstates is certainly not the easiest way to compute the eigenvalues of this operator. I would suggest defining a new operator ## b = a + c##, where ##c## is a number to be determined by requiring that ##\hat{H} = \hbar \omega b^\dagger b + C ##, where ##C## is another constant. Using the commutation relations for ##b,b^\dagger##, you should be able to compute the eigenvalues in the same way as for the regular harmonic oscillator.

And how can I find the operator b?

Jalo said:
And how can I find the operator b?

You solve the equation

$$\hbar \omega (a+c)^\dagger (a+c) + C = \hbar \omega a^\dagger a + \alpha (a + a^\dagger)$$

for ##c## and ##C##. This is a linear equation, since the ##a^\dagger a## terms cancel.

Likes 1 person
I just realized I forgot to thank you! Accept my apologies.

Daniel

1. What is the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of the system. In quantum mechanics, it is represented by the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the oscillator.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator?

To find the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator, you must solve the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves using the harmonic oscillator potential and applying the appropriate operators to find the solutions.

3. What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are the values that represent the possible energy levels of a quantum system. They are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its properties, such as the allowed energy states and transitions between them.

4. Can the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator cannot be negative. This is because the potential energy term in the Hamiltonian is always positive, and the kinetic energy term is squared, resulting in only positive eigenvalues.

5. How do the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator relate to the energy of the system?

The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator represent the possible energy states of the system, with the lowest eigenvalue corresponding to the ground state energy. As the eigenvalues increase, so does the energy of the system, with each eigenvalue representing a different energy level.