Find the Electric field strength at a point between two charges

In summary, the student is having trouble with parts C and D of their homework. They provide the values they are using and ask for help. It is later revealed that the issue was with incorrect units, which were then corrected. The permittivity constant was changed from 8.85x10^-12 F/m to 8.85x10^-9 F/mm.
rocapp

Homework Statement

See images

Homework Equations

See images

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried parts C and D several times, and the homework program is telling me that it's still not correct. For C, I keep getting:

7.7x10^8 N/C

for D I keep getting:

7.1x10^-12 N/C

In order to find these, I know you just plug in the known values into the equation from part A. But each time I plug these in, I get an incorrect answer. Please help. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.18.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.18.05 AM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 560
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.18.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.18.22 AM.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
rocapp said:

Homework Statement

See images

Homework Equations

See images

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried parts C and D several times, and the homework program is telling me that it's still not correct. For C, I keep getting:

7.7x10^8 N/C

for D I keep getting:

7.1x10^-12 N/C

In order to find these, I know you just plug in the known values into the equation from part A. But each time I plug these in, I get an incorrect answer. Please help. Thanks in advance!
attachment.php?attachmentid=57199&d=1364444477.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=57200&d=1364444477.png

For parts C & D please show your work, i.e. show exactly what numbers you are putting into your formula.

You are using millimeters and nanoCoulombs, aren't you ?

Oh! Units were the problem. Does this change the value of the permittivity constant from 8.85x10^-12 F/m to 8.85x10^-9 F/mm?

That is correct. I fixed the problems. Thanks!

I would first check my calculations to ensure that I am using the correct equations and plugging in the values correctly. I would also double check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Additionally, I would check if there are any other factors that could be affecting the electric field strength at the point between the two charges, such as the presence of other charges or the distance between the charges. If all of these factors have been taken into account and the calculated values still do not match the expected answer, I would consider seeking assistance from a colleague or consulting a textbook or other reliable source. It is important to ensure the accuracy of calculations in the field of science, so I would not simply accept the incorrect answer and would continue to troubleshoot until the correct solution is found.

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength between two charges?

The formula for electric field strength between two charges is E = k * (q1 / r^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 * 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), q1 is the first charge, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a point between two charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point between two charges is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. The force is directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Can the electric field between two charges be negative?

Yes, the electric field between two charges can be negative. This indicates that the force experienced by a positive test charge would be in the opposite direction, towards the negative charge.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This represents the amount of force exerted on a positive test charge placed in the electric field.